1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove abuse

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by Shadow&Flame, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Shadow&Flame

Shadow&Flame Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    I don’t know if this is the right board to post this on...so move it if needed.
    I was just wondering how many of you had seen a stove in frightfully poor condition in someone's home?
    I saw a Buck insert the other day. This stove was in the worst shape I have ever seen. The door glass was coated with about a 1/8 inch layer of creosote and there was only a part of the door gasket still attached. He didn’t know it was a cat stove and didn’t seem to care. There were no firebrick or cat in the stove...it was even a slammer install. He said he mainly burned green oak.

I couldn’t believe someone with a nice home could have such poor burning skills.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. DAKSY

DAKSY Patriot Guard Rider Staff Member

Loc:
    Averill Park, NY, on Burden Lake II...
    Unfortunately, many of those types don't last too long with fire in their homes...
    firefighterjake likes this.
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I've seen some really poor stoves. I think the worst was an old Franklin stove. The minute the house door opened I could smell the creosote. I was asked in but for sure I did not stay very long. My eyes were even watering and burning.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    I have seen many stoves in really bad shape. Cast stove with cracks you could see the fire through, Steel stoves warped so bad they were cracked. Rust, creosote, broken glass, broken door hinges and still burning. Most were old timers that maybe just couldn't see to it themselves. I have helped a few when I could. Always amazes me though, what some people get away with.
  5. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    I was just amazed how someone could take a modern stove and treat it like that. The danger level to him is something, but
    there are children around him and then there are the neighbors. Talking with him sure didn't seem to help. I bet his insurance man
    doesn’t know about it...
  6. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    tfdchief,

I havent been on here in quite some time. How are you doing? Hope all is well.
  7. tfdchief

tfdchief Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Tuscola, IL
    S&F, I am doing very well, thank you. The doctor released me June 18th :) ! Said I didn't need surgery. I still hurt like hell but, no matter, I am back at it, and glad to be where I am. I am not quite the man I used to be, but I can still get it done. Thanks, Steve
    Shadow&Flame likes this.
  8. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Good to hear it... "still hurts like hell" Know the feeling all too well, but not having to have the surgery is great. Keep at it and dont let it get you down.
    If you are like me and you look at something and that little voice in your head says "dont do it"...by all means listen...ha

Take care
    tfdchief likes this.
  9. certified106

certified106 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Athens, Ohio
    I have seen a cracked stove in use and the guy argued with me that it was fine you just had to shut the air down a little more.
  10. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    We in the fire service often end up seeing these sorts of stoves . . . sooner or later.

And in the community it seems as though you can almost always tell who has a stove of this sort . . . you know the types . . . the folks who you pass in the supermarket or general store who reek of creosote.
  11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Not sure what shape it was in but last week when it was 93 out I could see smoke coming from a chimney, wonder what the person was burning! :eek:

zap
  12. Shadow&Flame

Loc:
    Central Arkansas
    Ahh yes, the village idiot burning trash in the fireplace/stove. Got those as well. Nothing like the smell of plastic trash burning on a nice morning...:mad:
  13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

Papers.

zap
  14. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

its the dealer's fault....they didnt tell him how to care for it and maintain it!