Stove bright paint....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

goofa

Burning Hunk
Oct 7, 2012
Central New York
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with using stove bright paint in temperatures around 50-60°F. This weekend looks like I may get a few hours mid day around 55°. Sunday looks like the warmer day but it's supposed to rain all day. I can paint in my detached garage/sugar shack, but didn't know if the humidity would be a problem. I know the can says " ideal" temperatures between 65-85. But just seeing if anyone has any experience with colder temps. Thanks.

I just painted a stove a few weeks ago at 62F. It went ok.

Can you put an electric heater in the garage and bring up the temp to at least 60F? Maybe point the heater toward the stove to warm it up a bit. The heat will also help reduce humidity in the garage. If you keep the paint warm inside until ready to use it may be ok. Shake the can very well for a minute or two.

Yes I have a small electric heater but I figured I can open the door and overhead door and windows and coupola to make sure of adequate ventilation but then the heat would be obsolete. From what I'm gathering the ventilation is super important.

Yes ventilation is super important. If you warm up the space hours in advance, the mass will hold the heat. When ready to paint, open the door and paint a light coat. Close the door and wait 15-20 minutes before applying another light coat of paint. The fumes should have died down by then. Open the door open again and recoat. Usually 3 coats is enough. A gas and vapor mask will help if you have one.

Yeah I have a respirator with pink voc cartridges. Thanks

It will be ok, obviously not ideal but I don't think you'll run into any issues aside from a slower curing time. If it were freezing temps and below then it'd be a different story.