1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove Bright satin black over Enamel

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Defiant, May 5, 2011.

1. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Do not know if any of you have tried this but due to the request of a friend and customer I did up a VC sand enamel Sequoia. Looking for feedback if anyone ever did this. I will keep you posted on my results, I'm kicking in an extra can for touch-up. Looks good now but no guarantee on the paint job.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    As long as you dull the enamel with a good sanding it should be fine. 220 grit. It worked on an antique cook stove. I wiped it down with laquer thinner as well since some of the cast iron had been touched up with stove black over the years. I fire them up outside with a few pieces of stove pipe and burn the worst off outdoors. They take to hauling around better with the paint cured too.
  3. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Thanks coaly, good advice that's exactly what I did. Looks rather nice.
  4. Wood Heat Stoves

Wood Heat Stoves Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nevada City, California
    I've never tried it but it will be interesting to see if it stays on.
  5. summit

summit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central maine
    It'll flake off after a few fires.
  6. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    I'd like to know how effective this is long term. My standard answer to people for 26 years was "I wouldnt do it. Cant paint a glassy surface with stove paint, it will slide right off" Kinda like Summit said. This will be an interesting experiment.
  7. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    I sanded and painted the sides only, of a Buckwalter "Real Apollo" cook stove with 6 eyes and oven. The sides don't get as hot as the front door, which wasn't bad, so I was able to shine that up with automotive fine rubbing compound (a white paste 'safe' for clear coat, so it's not very abrasive) The top that gets the hottest is seasoned like you do a cast iron pan. I painted it at least 10 or 12 years ago, and the paint shows no sign of flaking or wear. If the top gets to 500, the sides maybe 200 ? with the oven in operation over a few hours at 300 to 350.