Stove locations....corner vs. middle of wall?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
Right now we're planning on going with a mid-wall installation for our wood stove. It'll mean an external chimney but we can always enclose it later on.

We do have an 8" flue built into a brick chimney that we can use although that'll mean a diagonal thimble that'll stick out of the wall at an angle.

However, I'm wondering if there are any huge pros to doing it in the corner vs. the middle of a wall?

I'd love to have some insight from those that have either.

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

Just posted something on your vertical pipe question in another post. To add to this question, I have a 6" flue directly installed to an exposed chimney running up from the basement. I ran insulated SS liner through the old chimney liner. You may see the stove in my profile pic, how the pipe directs to the thimble. The pic may be helpful in your application. Good luck

As you can see we have a mid wall installation with no furniture directly in front of heater. I think its better for heat circulation and furniture placement. When all things are equal I would go for best heat distribution. Center of main room is best but most rooms do not accommodate that setup.

If I had my rathers, I would go with a corner. We have a LR that is 16 x 24. There is a fireplace insert that is in the center of the end wall. Since it is there, you are limited on how furniture can be arranged near it. Since we have a large family, there are 2 sofas, 1 loveseat and a recliner in the room, in addition to a large tv and piano. Since the tv is centered on one of the 24' walls, the seating is arranged around that, with the loveseat sitting directly in front of the insert. Because of this, it obstructs the air flow coming from the fan, so we have to put a room fan to the side to help distribute. If the stove was in the corner, it would allow the furniture to be moved around. It would also offer better airflow toward the other end of the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.