Stove pipe installation questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spauld

Jun 8, 2014
Colorado
I am trying to work out the logistics of installing my very first wood stove in a shop (barn) I had built in my back yard, and I have a couple of basic questions. First off, the shop has significant "vaulted" ceiling space, so I'll need at least 13' of stove pipe to travel from the stove to the chimney box.

1) Since there are clearance concerns regarding the use of stove pipe being too close to combustibles, I wonder if it is OK to connect double-wall stove pipe to regular single-wall pipe, where needed? My thinking is that where the pipe passes a roof truss (combustible) it could be double wall as required, but when the pipe is climbing through open air space, it could be the less expensive single wall pipe.

2) Is a standard drywaled wall considered combustible? That is to say, how close can a stove be positioned next to a wall if it is constructed of the usual 2x4 studs, fiberglass insulation and sheathed in half inch drywall? I suppose there are local city codes regarding this...or perhaps a minimum distance provided by the stove manufacturer...or both?

THANKS!!!

You could use a stove pipe shield if the truss area is the only concern. Single wall needs to be at least 18" from any combustible. Yes, the paper on drywall is combustible. The clearance is determined by the stove mfg. What stove make and model is this?

http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-54120.html

You could use a stove pipe shield if the truss area is the only concern. Single wall needs to be at least 18" from any combustible. Yes, the paper on drywall is combustible. The clearance is determined by the stove mfg. What stove make and model is this?

http://www.efireplacestore.com/cpf-54120.html
begreen, I haven't actually purchased the stove yet. Been looking around trying to determine the best size for my space. Thanks for the info, I'll look into the shield. After I posted my questions, I thought perhaps regular stove pipe and double-wall probably wouldn't work together since the double-wall is probably a larger diameter.

You will find clearances to combustibles vary greatly between stove models. In very general terms, a stove that has a rear shield and is jacketed will have closer clearances. This stove will also be more convective by nature. If this is a cold space that you are trying to warm up rapidly (like a shop) you may either want to start the stove earlier or increase clearances and get a more radiant stove.

Reactions: Owen1508
If you are looking for a budget stove with close clearances, check out the Pacific Energy True North. 10" rear clearance with single wall pipe (6.5" with double wall) and 16" side. No hearth with thermal protection required either.

Another one would be the Englander NC13 but that needs a hearth with a r-value of 2 (which may not be an issue for a barn/shop).

Appropriate stove size will vary depending on the area and volume of the space you want to heat and how quickly.

Appropriate stove size will vary depending on the area and volume of the space you want to heat and how quickly.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/how-long-can-stove-pipe-be.128422/

I think any small stove would do that but assumed that the shop may need to get up from low temps when in use and therefore suggested slightly larger ones. Of course, how well it will be insulated will also play a role. If the shop is supposed to be kept above freezing the PE should also work out pretty well.

In Canada 10' is the limit for stove pipe,so drop your prefab chimney down lower and pickup something from a big box store unless of course you want better stuff

In Canada 10' is the limit for stove pipe,

I didn't know that. Would it be less expensive to do the stove pipe in double-wall instead of extending the more expensive chimney pipe?

In Canada 10' is the limit for stove pipe,so drop your prefab chimney down lower and pickup something from a big box store unless of course you want better stuff

The OP's profile says he is in Colorado or do you know of a similar restriction in the US?

The Canadian reg is the same as some stove mfgs. recommend. Heat loss of a long run of single-wall introduces potential problems with weaker draft and a significant increase in creosote accumulation.

Reactions: 8ball and Grisu
The OP's profile says he is in Colorado or do you know of a similar restriction in the US?
I am not familiar with American rules and they are probably different than in Canada.Everything in Canada is more stringent.10' is alot of stove pipe and you will loose alot of heat which is good for your shop but bad for your chimney which will have less reliable draft.After all it's a shop so it's not a big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.