Stove Pipe safety question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michauxii

Hearth Supporter
Oct 19, 2009
East Texas
Please bear with me if I misuse some terms.

I have a large Jotul stove that sits on my hearth and vents up and out my stone chimney. Fireplace is a double that opens to den and master bedroom.

I've been wanting to "seal" the damper/flue area with a metal plate to prevent heat loss up the chimney. Just planned to cut a hole slightly larger than 6" in plate to allow stove pipe to exit and run up the chimney.

Had a chimney sweep come by and clean chimney last week. He said he could do the above project for a fair price. OK..

He came by yesterday to install. He ran some single flexible pipe from stove up to the damper and then used single wall stainless 6" pipe to run up the chimney.
But instead of installing a metal plate across the damper area-as we had discussed and agreed upon- he just used to R-13 batt insulation to fill that area.

The insulation is in direct contact with the single wall pipe.

I called him on this, and he said he "forgot" the plate. Anyhow, he said he would return and finish Wednesday.

I'm concerned with the safety of this setup. The pipe will not be blazing hot where it makes contact with the insulation, but it will be pretty warm.

It this a safe install, or should I go with something else?

I am not positive but I pretty sure fiberglass batt insulation is a combustible and there fore should be 18inches away from single wall pipe. I Say this because even with Class A pipe going through my attic they provided a Insulation box that goes around the pipe on the floor of the attic and provides a 2 inch air gap to the insulation. And that all with Class A pipe. Again, I am not familiar with open fireplace installs tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.