stove starts then shuts down!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

biomass burner

Dec 24, 2014
Ohio
My PC 45 has been running like a trooper all week but today it shut down and so i gave it its weekly cleaning then went to start it up again it lites then shuts down 5 attempts so far in room temp mode and stove temp mode no codes (light blinking) happening either any ideas folks? thanks

Need more info on stove . Like age of it and how long installed. Fuel issue problems maybe?

just installed last year first full winter using it. it lights fine gets a good fire going then the feed auger stops feeding and burns itself out. been running great till today and is clean through out.

Sounds like its not getting to temp and after the start cycle and just shuts down. Could probably be the dreaded ESP failure. Three year warranty should cover it. ? what are burning?

yes i called the guy i bought it from but like always havent heard back from him yet. and i was wondering if it was that ESP also. im burning 60% wood pellets/40% corn cleaned nd dry not an issue this far

Pull the hopper of fuel and try straight pellets again. May have gotten some wet corn and its killing the pot temp to much and esp is shutting the stove down. Any bets?

Reactions: MuchoBueno
Stay warm:)

Bioburner you are brilliant!!! put 100% pellets in and making heat!!!!! happy camper here THANKS FRIEND!! i owe ya!! :)
He knows these 45's well. So it was some not so dry corn huh? Pellets keep you warm in the cold we're having now too. Never have seen Bio betting here yet so I figured he had it nailed. LOL!

Reactions: bogieb
Hey Biomass, Where are you in Ohio? I bought my 45 out Rt. 32 out East in Adams County, OH. I'm about 32 miles SW of Cincinnati.

He knows these 45's well. So it was some not so dry corn huh? Pellets keep you warm in the cold we're having now too. Never have seen Bio betting here yet so I figured he had it nailed. LOL!
well hes gonna have to start charging me lol he does know his stoves :) if he sends me a bill ill pay it!!

Biomass burner,

With your corn & pellet mix - what burn pot were you using, small hole (1/16") or large (1/8")? And we're you using the small opening combustion fan cover?

For this year's corn, which in NE Ohio is worse than average quality, I've used the small opening combustion fan cover, the large hole burn pot - AND needed the grain cover over the burn pot to keep the fire going properly. I'm burning 80% corn and 20% pellets. The corn has needed more combustion air and more heat retention to burn.

Taking a shot thinking you were possibly closer. Stay warm and Bioburner is your friend for a 45. Rona here has some great tips too.

Speaking of which, I have a blast with my new IR gun, Bioburner! I use it much more than I thought I would. I have checked it and verified for accuracy and it seems to be very accurate. Great deal!

Biomass burner,

With your corn & pellet mix - what burn pot were you using, small hole (1/16") or large (1/8")? And we're you using the small opening combustion fan cover?

For this year's corn, which in NE Ohio is worse than average quality, I've used the small opening combustion fan cover, the large hole burn pot - AND needed the grain cover over the burn pot to keep the fire going properly. I'm burning 80% corn and 20% pellets. The corn has needed more combustion air and more heat retention to burn.
im using the large hole (1/8'') burnpot and large hole combustion cover so far this year with mainly burning pellets thats what i was told to do to set it up but id ask bioburner he knows Harman better then Harman lol

im using the large hole (1/8'') burnpot and large hole combustion cover so far this year with mainly burning pellets thats what i was told to do to set it up but id ask bioburner he knows Harman better then Harman lol

That's the pellet setting, but for corn you have to look at using the items you got with the PC45 for burning corn. Less than dry corn will require some changes, including DIP switch settings.

I am burning 40-50% corn under 10% RM, large holed tray, and small holed fan plate as the crosslink needs the extra time to absorb the stoves heat. The large fan plate and burn tray were introduced to get the stove to burn pellets up to 50k btu.
Attached is technical bulletin of the pellet optimization kit

Attachments

• PC45 tech bulletin.pdf
    339.4 KB · Views: 117
Status
Not open for further replies.