Stove top thermo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

When I heard the oil heater turn on this morning I jumped up to restart the stove. My inferno gauge was reading 100 deg, yet there was very minimal glowing coals. I felt the top of the stove...no heat whatsoever. Do these need to be calibrated somehow, and/our are they good to go outta the package? I just want to make sure this thing aint 100 off. Thx

2011-12-17075057.gif

At 100 degrees you aint gonna have any coals to speak of, thats only a few degrees above body temp. I use a IR testor to see how far mine are off.

oldspark said:
At 100 degrees you aint gonna have any coals to speak of, thats only a few degrees above body temp. I use a IR testor to see how far mine are off.

Correct...when I opened the door I saw 1 bit of red, but thermo said 100. Does that mean the gauge is off? I'll look into an ir meter.any suggestions on one. Are they expensive?

Backwoods said:
oldspark said:

Correct...when I opened the door I saw 1 bit of red, but thermo said 100. Does that mean the gauge is off? I'll look into an ir meter.any suggestions on one. Are they expensive?

Nevermind on the price. There is a variety online...pretty reasonable...

I've come to not trust mine. It will be in the overfire area when my IR reads 450*. I have an insert so it is tricky trying to find the "right" spot to put it.

I have that same thermometer. Absolutly hate it. It takes FOREVER for it to get up to temp to read the correct temp. And placement is a big issue. Stove top will give you the hottest readings, but it is constantly getting blown on by the fan, so it will give you a bad reading. front top corner is usually alot cooler than the stove top itself. I picked up a IR therm from Harbor Freight last night for $40. AWESOME! just point and shoot anywhere. My inferno was reading 400ish last night, on the top, and the IR gun read 550. Reviews of the gun say it might be up to 10 degrees off, but I can deal with that seeing it doesn't need to be exact.

The thermometers are ready to go out of the package, and you will find that all of the magnet stove top thermometers are off by degrees one way or the other. Mine (Condar) is off by approximately 50-80 degrees on the lower side as confirmed by an IR thermometer.

They will, however, give you a general idea of where you are. If you are off by a few degrees either way you should be all set. Also, as mentioned, placement of the thermometer is important, but, different areas of the stove may be hotter than others depending how the fire is burning in the firebox- typically on my F600 the right rear is the hottest corner of the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.