Stovepipe to chimney compatibility

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bobde1234

Oct 30, 2019
Michigan
Hi all. I’m in process of learning about stovepipe and chimney. I think I’m going to select duratech for the chimney. I’m unsure if that means I must use DuraVent stovepipe too. Or could I use security stovepipe, for example? I don’t know if the connection between the chimney and the stovepipe is manufacturer specific or generic.
Thanks for any advice!

I believe your chimney sections need to be matching and your connector sections all have to match but you can use any brand connector pipe with any brand chimney. If that makes sense.

I’m no pro tho so if I’m wrong, pls chime in somebody.

Hi Nigel, thank you for the reply. As I’ve been gifted a nice section of duratech class A chimney pipe, that will be my chimney. But it is the connector pipe I’m unsure of. Locally a person has a nice security brand telescoping double wall piece for sale. But I’m unsure how to connect it to the duratech ceiling connector. There is a video on YouTube (Northline I think) which shows how to connect a duravent dvl double wall connector to the ceiling connector. Perhaps if I want double wall connector I must stay within the duravent company.

The connector can be any brand provided it is 24 gauge or better.

Hi Nigel, thank you for the reply. As I’ve been gifted a nice section of duratech class A chimney pipe, that will be my chimney. But it is the connector pipe I’m unsure of. Locally a person has a nice security brand telescoping double wall piece for sale. But I’m unsure how to connect it to the duratech ceiling connector. There is a video on YouTube (Northline I think) which shows how to connect a duravent dvl double wall connector to the ceiling connector. Perhaps if I want double wall connector I must stay within the duravent company.
Google “class a to stovepipe adapter” for your brand of chimney. Also, ceiling support kits usually include said adapter, which as mentioned should fit any brand of connector pipe, single or double walled. Double walled sometimes uses a collar to hide the top outer crimp. Connector typically uses black stainless screws to secure it.