1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stoves from Home Depot or Lowes etc

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Geezer, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Paul Raz

Paul Raz Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    That's pretty deep. You should write fortune cookies ;)
    jjs777_fzr likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I predict that some day I will,....some day I will.
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  3. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    Can you also predict if you will ever deliver to the Orange County NY area?
  4. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    [​IMG]
    briansol, whlago and mithesaint like this.
  5. Paul Raz

Loc:
    Orange County, NY
    I like the fortune cookie prediction better...besides you can grow ur business this way.
  6. khenault

khenault Member

Loc:
    Southern, NH
    All a Ferrari or Lambo will get you is a gold digger.
  7. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

and thats ok if you are smart going into the transaction........just gotta be smarter than them, and live in a non-Common Law state.
  8. sante fe

sante fe Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie ny
    Remember" Everyones Dream Boat Turns Into A Tugboat"
  9. pell it

pell it Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    "he who go to bed with itchy butt, awake with stinky finger"
  10. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

I'm new to pellet stove myself. I love the stove but I'm kicking myself in the Ass for not buying a new unit. I should have sign up to this forum and ask question before I bought the used unit.

$1100.00 for a new stove that comes with 1 year warranty on electronic and 5 years on the box is very reasonable. But I've bought a used stove for $475.00 and found out later that you have to maintain yearly by replacing all the gasket all that add up quick.

The previous owner broke a screw in the combustion motor housing and 1 screw was not tighten and that gave me E1 code. I had the gasket fixed still getting E1 code. I disconnect all the vacuum hose for inspection they are all in good condition, replaced he combustion motor still have E1 code. I finally narrow it down it's the vacuum switch.

I've contact Englander I was told the weakness to this stove is the combustion motor and auger motor. I bough all the gaskets, combustion motor, 2 auger motors, an igniter total $497.00 now I need a vacuum switch.

Because I'm very mechanically incline I've decided to buy a used unit and this is what I get.

Beside the issue I have the stove heats my basement to over 80 degree and my living room at 71 degree that's heat range at 5 and 2

I'll buy the same stove again but not a used unit. I don't think I'll buy a new until for a while with the spares I have I'm understanding how the stove works.
  11. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    If you take care of that stove, you will not need to get another one. You ay however, need to occasionally replace the wear parts. (and honestly, on all pellet stoves, EVERYTHING except the steel housing is a wear part!) Other than that, your stove will have no problem turning cold air warm!
  12. Sawdust62

Sawdust62 New Member

Loc:
    Warwick, NY
    I installed a pellet stove this year. After reading the reviews and talking to the sales people at Lowe's and Home Depot I was completely turned off. A salesman in Home Depot actually told me they sell junk and most people come back to complain that they have problems out of the box. I went went a Harman P43. I don't have any complaints.
  13. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

You're right! Now I have 2 spare auger motors, 1 combustion motor. I'll replace the bearings to the combustion motor. Vacuum switch will be here next week. Stove runs fine with the vacuum switch lead bypass.
  14. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

That saying is so true. Because I'm very mechanically include sometime it kicks me in the Ass. I'm understanding how this thing function I'll never need a service tech.
  15. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I'm sorta ok with this....but watch what you just started!!!
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    messagel.jpg
  17. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Ask that same salesman what an auger motor is and he will make you a tuna on rye. I have a Lowes and a HD, both within 2 miles of my warehouse. Most of my pellets sell for north of $270/ton with fair but modest margins. They sell theirs for around $200/ton. My business grows every year despite this and it's not because my customers are "just stupid" and "dont know any better". Don't come to me for 2X4's and nail guns, because I don't have a clue on that stuff.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
  19. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

I just got off the phone with the tech at Englander. It's ok to run the unit with the vacuum switch bypass, it will not damage any of the electronic in the control panel. He does recommend replacing the switch when I receive it, which I intend on doing.

From my understanding the vacuum switch is there to detect any vacuum lost and it will shut down the stove. When it is bypass it will not shut the unit down in the even that you do have a vacuum lost. It is a safety switch or error detector.
  20. CT Pellet

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    I stand corrected....
  21. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

I can't stop now. I went ahead and order a new convection motor and the door vacuum switch. This stove will be new except for the box and I still can't claim warranty. It's a good learning experience on how to trouble shoot the unit. I'll replace the bearings in the old motor and keep it as spares.
  22. N.E S4

N.E S4 Member

I agree it is a good stove.

All the issue I have was from previous owner stupidity and my experience trouble shooting the unit. Englander tech line is ridiculous 1/2 hour wait at 8 in the morning I though I was early.

All my issue was combustion housing gasket previous owner screwed up and a shut down vacuum switch total cost of about $50.00. Within 2 weeks I can say that I'm getting to know this stove very well.
  23. imacman

imacman Guest

This is the busiest time of the year for them. You might try sending Mike H. a direct email or PM
  24. rwthomas1

rwthomas1 Member

Loc:
    Wakefield, RI
    I purchased a Lopi Pioneer last year from a stove shop as I didn't want the hassle of a "cheap" stove should I have problems. The local stove shop is reputable and would have addressed any issue I had. I've had none to speak of. In retrospect I could have saved some money and purchased a quality used stove from CL, etc. but who knows if that would have been as hassle free as the Lopi has been? Yo pays yo money and yo takes yo chances..... As they say. FWIW the Lopi heats my house better than I expected, requires little attention just a quick vacuum out every 2-3 days and it keeps on throwing the heat out. If you are at all handy and accept that pellets stoves need attention then they are a great way to heat your home and save a lot of money.
    Lousyweather likes this.