strange or not!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stanleyjohn

Minister of Fire
Mar 29, 2008
southcentral Ct
Our home insurance doesn't know about our wood stove and i have been thinking awhile about telling them that we do!just in case something ever happened if a fire was started by the wood stove.At dinner today my wife said she called the insurance company the other day after reading in our policy that we could get a discount if we had a wood stove.I found this a bit strange but our insurance agent said this was true and we would get some papers to fill out soon to qualify for a discount.My wife told the agent that we had the stove 3 years now and she had tried to let them know awhile back that we have one!The agent said they couldn't give us any credit for the last 3 years but a discount will start as soon as the mailed paper work is sent back to them.Does a discount seem a bit strange?I still find it hard to believe because after reading here in hearth i found that after notifying the insurance company the rate either stayed the same or went up .

When I called my ins guys they did not care as long as I used the fireplace chimney. Same price.

Your insurance company has probably figured out that open fireplaces cause more house fires than wood stoves. They already had the fireplace in the rate.

BrotherBart said:
You insurance company has probably figured out that open fireplaces cause more house fires than wood stoves. They already had the fireplace in the rate.

Yep, but I wood (pun intended) that the ins co would come up with some lame excuse to increase the premium. I guess the insurance commisioner was on that one :cheese:

burntime said:
BrotherBart said:
You insurance company has probably figured out that open fireplaces cause more house fires than wood stoves. They already had the fireplace in the rate.

Yep, but I wood (pun intended) that the ins co would come up with some lame excuse to increase the premium. I guess the insurance commisioner was on that one :cheese:

Those clowns take whatever numbers the computers spit out and run with it. I am in a war with Allstate, who has carried my homeowner's insurance since 1972, because they doubled my rate. Seems since I never borrow money I don't have a credit rating and people without credit ratings are considered a bad risk.

Not one claim in 38 years. Go figure.

I got a small discount when I told them I relined my chimney.

It's 'cause your insurance rates now are tied to your credit rating. Amongst other things.

Another transference of wealth.

*hang on everyone, we're about to go South*

BrotherBart said:
burntime said:
BrotherBart said:

Those clowns take whatever numbers the computers spit out and run with it. I am in a war with Allstate, who has carried my homeowner's insurance since 1972, because they doubled my rate. Seems since I never borrow money I don't have a credit rating and people without credit ratings are considered a bad risk.

Makes you want to take up guns. Don't it? What kind of system penalizes responsible people? Taxes and insurance my two biggest exspenses. Go figure.

Hmmm . . . first I ever heard of an insurance company giving a discount on a woodstove . . . usually, if anything, they will increase the premium with the presence of a woodstove. Good news for you!

BrotherBart said:
burntime said:
BrotherBart said:

Thats priceless. It's almost like someone is encouraging folks to carry debt. That couldnt be true though, could it?

ckdeuce said:
And where do you think that "Credit" money is coming from? Hmmm...

So Obama's the one who originated federal taxes? Wow, and he's only been there a year.

OK to get this thread back on track though - to the original Poster StanleyJohn, who IS your helpful insurance carrier? Also how do you like that Harmon insert? Is it top loading? If so, does that make the clearances on the top unusual?

Insurance companies are only one of a host of companies that base their rates on your credit score and this also includes human resources ( ya, the hiring and firing section of where you use to work)

BrotherBart said:
burntime said:
BrotherBart said:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? I don't mean to distract from the wood burning nature of this thread, but this post got my blood boiling over stupid insurance company tactics. How is it we have a financial crisis based on an over supply of credit and now people who don't even use credit are PENALIZED! Sorry for yelling - but I think insurance companies are very low on the evolutionary ladder, somewhere between pond scum and cow turds.

Some very interesting replies :lol: Well!! today i got a wood stove form from the insurance co which i have just filled out.Questions like the make,measurements,was it inspected by anyone (sadly i checked no but hope having it installed by professionals from the stove store will be enough).Other questions asked!how often is it cleaned,type of liner,how often you burn,how many years have you had.They did not ask if i got a permit from the town which i was good since i never did.Sending it back tomorrow with a pic of the stove and hoping for best.

tickbitty said:
ckdeuce said:

So Obama's the one who originated federal taxes? Wow, and he's only been there a year.

OK to get this thread back on track though - to the original Poster StanleyJohn, who IS your helpful insurance carrier? Also how do you like that Harmon insert? Is it top loading? If so, does that make the clearances on the top unusual?

No!its not a top loader but i love the stove keeps most of our 1600 sqft home in the 70s to near 80 in the winter.The insuance co here in CT is called middlesex mutual.

i wonder if i should probably contact my insurance company....been burning a stove for 13 years as primary heat, had the house for 15...install was one of the first things i did. install a smaller second one for the shoulder seasons or when it was really cold, was the second thing.

cass

stanleyjohn said:
tickbitty said:
ckdeuce said:

No!its not a top loader but i love the stove keeps most of our 1600 sqft home in the 70s to near 80 in the winter.The insuance co here in CT is called middlesex mutual.

Ah too bad, that sounds regional - we are shopping a new insurance Co. When we moved in only one would take us because the roof was 50 years old. THey didn't care that the roof passed inspection, just that it was old. It was weird. We did get a new roof finally last year so now we can get a better insurance company.

I was very interested in that Harman insert but couldn't find anyone around here that carries them. They are nice looking and a little different in appearance.

tcassavaugh said:
i wonder if i should probably contact my insurance company....been burning a stove for 13 years as primary heat, had the house for 15...install was one of the first things i did. install a smaller second one for the shoulder seasons or when it was really cold, was the second thing.

cass

This very question has been bandied about here before . . . tell or don't tell the insurance company and what the possible outcome could be if one does or does not tell (i.e. higher premiums vs. denied coverage.)

My own take, having seen my parents lose their house to a fire from an outdoor wood boiler, and then having the insurance company deny their full replacement value of the house since my parents failed to tell the company that they had switched to heating primarily with an OWB is to inform the insurance company . . . some may increase the premium (but then again you can also go with another company), some may require you to fill out some paperwork or have a professional inspection and some may not care one iota.

stanleyjohn said:
Some very interesting replies :lol: Well!! today i got a wood stove form from the insurance co which i have just filled out.Questions like the make,measurements,was it inspected by anyone (sadly i checked no but hope having it installed by professionals from the stove store will be enough).Other questions asked!how often is it cleaned,type of liner,how often you burn,how many years have you had.They did not ask if i got a permit from the town which i was good since i never did.Sending it back tomorrow with a pic of the stove and hoping for best.

not to rain on your parade but if it were me, i'd be worried about the insurance company saying that since you are running a stove without notifying us you are cancelled immediately. or now that they have proof you had a stove for the past three years you will now owe us for this years and last three. i say this because i too have not heard of a discount for a wood stove. i could be wrong on this, but i think i'd be holding my hurray until you get the discount on paper. i hope you get the discount.

good luck
frank

Good news/Bad news! First the bad news! just recieved our updated policy since i informed the insurance co on the wood stove and no discount.The good news is the policy rate did not go up and they didnt seem to care if i had a wood stove or not.At least now i can sleep nights knowing they have it on record that we have a wood stove.

Folks, if I've read this thread correctly, the insurance company was not saying they would give a discount. They were going to lower the rate, because the woodstove was less of a risk than the fireplace. They had raised the rate to cover the fireplace, but now were going to lower it for the woodstove. That's not a discount. (In any event, they actually didn't change the rate after all.)

I live in BC, Canada.
When you install a wood stove you must have an inspection report completed by the pro installer - WETT Certified. Or, if you install yourself, you must hire a WETT cetified tech to inspect the install and complete the inspection report.

The report, and pictures, must be sent to your insurance agent. I believe I pay approx $100/year additional premium.

IMO, insurance companies spend most of their time figuring out how NOT to pay out on claims!
Likely scenario here;
I have a wood stove in my house, but I have not informed my insurance company.
My house burns down as a result of an electrical malfunction at the opposite end of the house from where my stove is. Claim is denied because I technically did not have insurance because I did not 'report' the presence of the wood stove.

I fabricated the above scenario - but I don't think it's too far from the truth. INFORM YOU INSURER RE. YOUR WOOD STOVE!!!!

Well i was wrong.!It was a discount for not having a wood stove vs having one.We received another update on our insurance!Since we have auto and homeowners together from the same insurance co!the homeowners went up $40 and $100 each on both our cars.Did not take long for my wife to call them up to find out why auto went up and she was told it was because of the stove!what a rip off!!!.Oh!! the insuance lady said what a pretty stove we had!Oh boy that makes me feel much better.

You shouldn't have told the insurance company that you park the cars in the house...

fire_man said:
BrotherBart said:
burntime said:
BrotherBart said:

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING? I don't mean to distract from the wood burning nature of this thread, but this post got my blood boiling over stupid insurance company tactics. How is it we have a financial crisis based on an over supply of credit and now people who don't even use credit are PENALIZED! Sorry for yelling - but I think insurance companies are very low on the evolutionary ladder, somewhere between pond scum and cow turds.

Don't forget... Insurance Companies are on Wall Street. Money...Money...Money...

Status
Not open for further replies.