Suggestions to hide pipe gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Karmol Apples

Mar 12, 2019
I'm looking for suggestions/links on what I can do to clean up the look where the pipe runs through the wall for my pellets stove. I attached some pictures below. The gap between the wall and black collar is around 1 inch.
IMG_20190312_181257.jpg IMG_20190312_181252.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I had someone else install this. Pellet stove pipe to existing class A chimney
That doesn't look at all like a proper class a wall pass through.

You would need the original thimble, it looks like it’s been removed. Then your trim piece would sit up against it. I’m sure that used to be a class A wall pass through, but not anymore. Wether what you have can be used safely I’m not sure, but it’s certainly not craftsman like work. Does it have a liner that goes to the top of the class a chimney?

Reactions: bholler
Yes, I had someone else install this. Pellet stove pipe to existing class A chimney
It looks like they attached it to a liner , just because someone else installed it doesn’t mean it’s safe can you take a closeup . You could cut and paint a piece of sheet metal to cover the gap but my question is where is the original ?

I'll take another pic when I get home. Previous owners had the chimney installed then removed their wood burning stove for whatever reason and had a wooden frame cover the whole opening.

This is in a finished basement (uninsulated). I took another look. It doesn't seem that there is a thimble in the wall but it is going through cinder block if that matters. It looks the pellet pipe is attached to the chimney with a reducer/adapter

It should have a liner that runs up the existing chimney.

I agree there should be a liner but it may work fine i have seen plenty that do. I am concerned with the lack of clearances through the wall though.