Summer stove care?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
After cleaning out the ash and cleaning the glass, I give the stove pipes a fresh coat of paint and stuff insulation in the pass through to minimize air flow into the stove from downdrafts.

I usually sweep both stoves late Spring and also vacuum all the ash inside even above the baffle behind the cat. I like to inspect all the gaskets and seams, then I shut the air down to 0 and they're good to go til next Fall.

This year was a little different with the basement stove. I had to tear down the stove and replace the stone under the side loading door that had cracked. It wasn't too hard since I had good instructions from Woodstock and it was kind a cool seeing how this stove is put together. Even had a small fire when it was 80 out to cure the cement and make sure there were no leaks.

I wooda thought that by leaving ashes in there it wood be a natural absorbent?

I always leave my door closed as well. This summer I did some stove maintenance and am looking forward to using it come fall. I swept out the chimney, cleaned the glass, replaced the gaskets on the door and the glass, replaced all the fire brick, I am ready to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.