super patriot wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sydney

Jan 19, 2008
boston
does anyone have any info on a 1975 era wood stove made in ct.under the name

Attachments

• patritot_ad.jpg
    patritot_ad.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,392
Sorry, Sydney, I've never heard of it. 1975 I was frantically shopping for a flower-embroidered white belt to go with my red bell-bottoms. :bug: Rick

Sid: if you are feeling really patriotic, maybe just buy it?? Or not :roll:

Never heard of it but I guessing it's probably one of the 1st generation air tight stoves to hit the market back then.

Back then I was heating with a Ben Franklin stove with the isenglass that you had to constantly feed wood to...it keep you warm but very busy. Think I got my first Shenandoah R65 model airtight stove around 78 or 79...man what a difference in holding a fire compare to the Franklin stove it was a Godsend...but nothing compared to the EPA stoves of today.

imo those old airtight stoves are OK for camps or hunting lodges but with the cost of wood today I dunno about using one to heat the house but if your laid off and that all you can make do with then go for it cause it will probably do the job.

Just today moved our R-77 Shenandoah into a position I can wire brush and paint it...gonna ask 75 for it, works fine but the wife tired of it...cause it was boring. Go Figure!

Sounds like it was pretty efficient for it's time and kind of similar combustion wise to the new down draft stoves? Do you have one Sydney?

Thank you for your info,very helpful. I was given one for free with water panel and 40 gal copper
water tank ,pump, tstat included.Ive been burning anthracite in my old nashua stove in the living room
very happily and as a master plumber i thought i would play with this and see what i could do.
side note joined in 1/08 never posted glad I did thanks again Syd

These stoves are sort of interesting. The design with the air coming in on top limits the fire to a certain extent...which is good in this case. These stoves do not overheat easily - and the Patriot also has a bimetal element in the air inlets which shuts them if the stove was to overheat.

These stoves will take a little time to get used to....maybe try setting the fire upside down (some info on starting fires that way somewhere around here).

As I remember, there was a layer of FB on the bottom - no grate used or needed. There may also have been a layer around the lower part of the sides - look for any indication (brackets, etc). My guess would be that there was......easy enough to install - get split bricks at your local masonry supply yard.

there are fb on the sides and ends on angle but not sure of the bottom
Im not on site will check it when I get back to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.