Teaching the grandkids.........

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soupy1957

Minister of Fire
Jan 8, 2010
Connecticut
www.youtube.com
I was rather surprised this morning (4:30 AM Sunday) to see the thermometer on the back deck telling me it was nearly 40ºF outside! That's a HUGE difference from what we've seen around here lately!

I went into the living room to restart the wood stove, (as the furnace ran in the background, filling the gap from the overnight sleep), opened the door, and remembered a visit promised today by one of our daughters, her husband, and my namesake grandson.

This particular grandson takes a keen interest in the wood stove. His face lights up so brightly when he comes over and sees me starting the fire. He gets such an unbridled rush of glee when I hand him newspaper sheets to smash up into little balls. He smashes them with purposeful intent and throws them over the child safety gate, anticipating another one to smash.

He'll march over to the kindling pile and start pulling out pieces for "Pepére" (me) to stack with the newspaper, and stands right by my side with his arm around my back, watching as I light the starter pile.

So this morning, I think I'll let the furnace keep things comfy here, and hold off on lighting the fire till little "Stephen" arrives after church. The rewards of letting him be a part, are greater than the downs of letting the furnace kick in for a while!

-Soupy1957

Attachments

• Wood Helper 3.jpg
    Wood Helper 3.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 308
Awesome Soup - those moments are just great (I'm enjoying mine with my 3 young ones, I'll be a Pepere someday (I hope!). Cheers!

Soupy, you let them name the child Soupy? Poor kid. %-P
Just messin' with ya'.
What a cute young man. He looks like he can hardly contain his excitement. Is the hand wringing part of the process?
I'm also a Papa, 4 times over. Oldest, the grandson, loves to drive the tractor when he visits. He's almost 15 now though, so his interests are changing.
Take advantage of this time with him.
Has the snow melted off the roof, or did you rake it off?

Great fun!
But be carefull, now that you taught him that trick you'll just have to watch that "Lil Soupy" doesn't go throwing paper (or other stuff) over the fence when Pepére isn't lookin.

BTW he looks just like you.

That is so cool. Wish I had kids so I could have Grandkids... More porwer to ya.

Carbon_Liberator said:
But be carefull, now that you taught him that trick you'll just have to watch that "Lil Soupy" doesn't go throwing paper (or other stuff) over the fence when Pepére isn't lookin.

To be honest - I have found that including the grandkids on the startup and loading and letting them, under supervision, stand on the "other" side of the fence to have reduced their interest in the "forbidden" zone. For whatever that is worth.

(2 and 3 yr old boys).

Jags said:
Carbon_Liberator said:

To be honest - I have found that including the grandkids on the startup and loading and letting them, under supervision, stand on the "other" side of the fence to have reduced their interest in the "forbidden" zone. For whatever that is worth.

(2 and 3 yr old boys).

Jags - yes, that's why I let my 7 year old boy drink as much beer as he wants - figure he won't find it to be such a draw when he is a teenager. (yes, I'm joking......).
Cheers!

NH_Wood said:
Jags - yes, that's why I let my 7 year old boy drink as much beer as he wants - figure he won't find it to be such a draw when he is a teenager. (yes, I'm joking......).
Cheers!

When I was a child - it was not uncommon for me to have a glass of wine with any good Italian meal. My parents made sure that one was the limit, but it took it off of the "forbidden" list. (full disclosure - my father lived in Italy (military) for a couple of years and it was common place there, he brought the practice home with him).

"You did season this stuff Right?"...

I'm right behind you. Great fun. Mine's 6mo. old now.

Adios Pantalones said:
That's a pretty heartwarming account Soupy- you're a rich man indeed!

AP - having a little one handing me logs that he shouldn't even be able to lift and saying in his 2 yr old little voice "here". PRICELESS.

It even over compensates for the occasional whack in the head I take from said log. The only problem is that I can't send them home - they live with us. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.