tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tfdchief

Minister of Fire
Nov 24, 2009
Tuscola, IL
myplace.frontier.com
BeGreen, Gooserider, BrotherBart, fossil, pen,
Sorry I am not sure where to put this post, but I wanted to let you all know that I had an accident on my ATV, rolled over on me and broke my back in 3 places, and most of my ribs. This happened on the 17th of June and the doctors did not want to do surgery and fuse vertebrae if they didn't have to. So I am at home in a brace, which pretty much does not allow me to do much or help myself much. My loving wife is taking care of me and it looks like a long road ahead. If you are inclined to help, I could sure use your prayers. Thanks and I sure hope I get to burn wood this winter. Not sure they will let me though.
Steve.

tfdchief said:
BeGreen, Gooserider, BrotherBart, fossil, pen,
Sorry I am not sure where to put this post, but I wanted to let you all know that I had an accident on my ATV, rolled over on me and broke my back in 3 places, and most of my ribs. This happened on the 17th of June and the doctors did not want to do surgery and fuse vertebrae if they didn't have to. So I am at home in a brace, which pretty much does not allow me to do much or help myself much. My loving wife is taking care of me and it looks like a long road ahead. If you are inclined to help, I could sure use your prayers. Thanks and I sure hope I get to burn wood this winter. Not sure they will let me though.
Steve.

Holy crap! I'm sorry to hear that. The brace aside, do you have feeling/motion in your legs? What is the down side if they fuse vertebrae? Less range of motion?

Sorry to hear that, stay positive and get well soon.

So sorry to hear of your accident. I know of few worse feelings than to not be able to call upon your body to do what you're used to doing, and to live the way you like to live. It's even worse when you're in pain, and have to ask others to help you.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery with no wrong turns on the way.

Are you set up with wood a few years ahead? If so, you've put yourself in the position we all hope to be in, and are ready to get through this unexpected setback. If not, I feel so confident in the folks on this forum that I'm sure the ready hands will be there to help as needed. And the rest of us will be around with stupid jokes and complicated questions for your amusement.

That is terrible news Steve. I'm glad you are alive to tell about it. You will be in our thoughts and prayers. Let us know if you need help and by all means, follow the doc's orders. It sounds like they have hope for some good healing, but it will take time. Be sure to put the Mrs. on the forum too if she needs help. If you have wood already stacked for next winter we can guide her with burning.

Stay in touch and all the best for a quick and full recovery.

Real sorry to hear it Steve. If one has to hunt for an upside it would be that you have a pretty good supply of wood laid in and firemen are real good at helping other firemen. (Hope they like their Chief)

Let us know what we can do.

Sorry to hear this and hope you have a speedy and full recovery.

Very sorry to hear this, Steve. You have our wishes and prayers for the best possible outcome.

Steve, your post is just fine right where it is for the time being. This is tough stuff, serious injuries. I'm so sorry this accident happened. My very best wishes to you and your caregiving wife. I learned not very long ago to "let the helpers help". Friends and family will rally around and offer all kinds of help...accept it. Focus now on healing, and learning all you can about what the healthcare road ahead might look like for you. Again, all my best, and keep us in the loop. Take care. Rick

So sorry to hear your news.

You have our prayers and best wishes for a full recovery from here too.

Steve, very sorry to hear of your accident. I hope you mend rapidly and completely. Keep your eye on the long term goals and listen to your wife!

You guys are incredible. It brought tears to my eyes when I saw all the posts. I still need a lot of rest so not on here often. I wish I could answer each of you individually but I don't think I can. I do have feeling in my legs and there seems to be no paralysis for now. Fusing the vertebrae means less motion or no motion and chance of further damage to the spinal cord. Dr appointment Tuesday so maybe I will find out more. Pain has been horrible but getting better. As some of you know me well enough, yes I have about 3 years wood supply and a son who will bring more. and my wife is so thankful to have you guys if she needs help. My email is on temp. reply because it goes to my work email and answering that was out of the question. My firefighters are great guys and are helping my wife remove my brace for cleaning and anything else she asks, and yes I think they love me......I sure love all of them. And thanks fossil for leaving the post here for a while......move it when you need to. I look forward to hearing from you all and it means so much right now to know you have people who care about you. I am not a person who can sit still, read books, watch TV, but now that I feel decent enough to get back on the forum, I think it will pass some time for me. Thanks for the prayers and GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU! Steve

Steve,

Hang in there. As others have said let the helpers help. Take it easy and you are in my prayers.

Shawn

Glad to hear you are getting the help you need, and a speedy recovery to you.

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear of your accident. Sounds pretty bad, but even geezers like us can usually heal if we give it enough time. Lucky you have a woman who knows the meaning of, "In sickness or in health." Rose and I wish you a speedy recovery.

So sorry Steve. Hang in there. Best wishes for speedy healing.

Steve, so sorry to hear of this.

I agree with accepting all the help you can, makes things easier.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Wow Steve, you must be something to have such a good attitude with all you've gone through. I will be thinking about you and positive thoughts will be heading your way every day, so keep smiling, life WILL get better. Make sure you keep us all up to date on your progress.

tfdchief,liked reading all your posts but this one.Get well soon.

Steve,

We will be thinking of you often & praying for your recovery.I've only been here a few months but have realized this place is another 'home' to me now.A nice comfortable home,like well-worn boots or jeans that you never get tired of.Please keep us posted of any new updates regarding your medical condition.

Wow sorry to hear this, you'll be in our prayers for sure!

I screwed my back up over the winter and it's not anything comparable to what you must be dealing with so I can only imagine. I have grade 1 or low grade 2 spondylolisthesis on my S1-L5 and herniated the disk on the S1-L5 which is pushing on my S1 nerve root.(causes left leg numbness/pain) The spine doctor says I probably have a fusion at some point in my future due to the spondy but they're holding off as long as they can. In the meantime I'll be off to surgery end of this month for a laminotomy to clean up the disk material that's pushing on the nerve unless I have a miraculous recovery before then.(been through PT already with little relief)

I'm sure your wife knows you appreciate her but make sure she hears it often. Even my wife having to pick up where I can't do anymore with my 2 year old likes to hear how I appreciate her.

Keep us updated, I wish you the best of luck in a speedy and full recovery!

Steve-

Smile and laugh (if it doesn't hurt) every chance you get. Your positive attitude will go a long way to your physical recovery. Best of luck to you and your wife as you make your way through this tough time.

Chief,

Hang tough and rest up. You are in our thoughts. Be safe out there everyone. We don't need any more of these posts going up.

Okay, here it is, my contribution to your recovery--your very first Stupid Joke of the Day:

How many firemen does it take to change a light bulb? Four. One to change the bulb and 3 to chop a hole in the roof.

Glad to learn that you're set with wood for awhile. Let the Chieftess know that the wood heat is no step for a stepper, and she'll be fine. Just take it as it comes and someone will be here to answer any questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.