tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
wendell said:
Happy Birthday!!

X2.

I just saw and read this thread. Sorry I'm late in wishing you well. Looking forward to hearing about your full recovery. Hope you have a great birthday too!

DR. APPOINTMENT UPDATE

Thank you to all of you who just read the thread (I know it is long) and thanks for all the thoughts and prayers......it has surely helped me everyday.
And thanks for the Birthday wishes.

I got pretty good news from the doctor today. He still wants me to take it very easy, little or no bending, squatting, or kneeling, and no lifting over 10 pounds. But he is going to let me go back to work with those restrictions. Next appointment December 12th. I am so happy to be able to go back to work and do something meaningful after 4 long months of staring at 4 walls. Thanks to all of you who helped me get through those 4 months. I could not have done it without this forum and all of you.
Gratefully,
Steve

Steve,
That is great! Nice birthday gift. You must be bored, you're excited about going back to work! :) Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.

Great news Steve. Now mind the doctor's orders and take baby steps here.

10 lbs! I think most the wood for the stove is less than that! You are back in business buddy!

You've come a long way and that is great to hear. You know it's bad when someone is ready to get back to work!

Hope to keep hearing good news as things progress. (Your accident strikes home here as I helped carry my cousin to his burial site who did the same thing on an ATV 11 weeks ago w/out the back injuries; you are one fortunate man. He was 68, raced top fuel funny cars literally as they were invented, been driving fast stuff his whole life, amazing how even the experienced like you and him can get caught up in an accident. At the time, he was on his work hauler machine just climbing a hill to check out the gas well on his neighbors property, a stump he didn't see did him in. Life is fragile, we all could have it happen tomorrow)

pen

Excellent news . . . and happy bindry.

Flatbedford, BG, Shadow&Flame;, Jake,

Thanks, It is good news. I feel like am ready for more, but I will take it. I am trying very hard to do as the doctor says, just difficult as you start feeling better.

Pen,
Yes, splits are a lot less than that and I have had some fires already. And I can’t tell you how happy it made me. I wish the stoves were higher. That is the biggest problem. And yes, pretty bad when you want to go back to work, but I am hoping it will be a lot better than sitting around here with very little to do. We will see.....I go back tomorrow.

The story you tell of your cousin sounds way to familiar. It sent chills up and down my spine (broken back)! I am so sorry to hear this! Life is indeed fragile, and can change in an instant, and when you least expect it. Your cousin knew how to handle that situation without incident, but was probably just to relaxed, not paying attention in a situation that didn’t seem to warrant it. How terribly unfortunate. I feel more fortunate every day.

Take care, and thank you all.
Steve

Steve,
Congrats and Happy Birthday!

Ray

tfdchief said:
DR. APPOINTMENT UPDATE

Thank you to all of you who just read the thread (I know it is long) and thanks for all the thoughts and prayers......it has surely helped me everyday.
And thanks for the Birthday wishes.

I got pretty good news from the doctor today. He still wants me to take it very easy, little or no bending, squatting, or kneeling, and no lifting over 10 pounds. But he is going to let me go back to work with those restrictions. Next appointment December 12th. I am so happy to be able to go back to work and do something meaningful after 4 long months of staring at 4 walls. Thanks to all of you who helped me get through those 4 months. I could not have done it without this forum and all of you.
Gratefully,
Steve

tfdchief; congrats on the good news, keep following the Doc's directions and you'll be at our place cutting in know time. :zip:

zap

Thanks Ray

fdchief; congrats on the good news, keep following the Doc’s directions and you’ll be at our place cutting in know time. zipper

zap
:) I hope so Zap, that would be fun it that beautiful country.

Really good birthday present Chief, take er slow and easy. You've come a long way back and progress will continue. Enjoy your first day back @ work

Steve,

Congratulations on the good news and as many have said, don't overdo it now. The healing process is still ongoing and you don't want any backsliding.

Great news! I know it's hard to keep following all the rules but the doctor hasn't lead you wrong yet. Keep following the rules and you'll be 100% or close in no time in the scheme of things.

I had my 12 week follow up for my microdiscectomy today and doc said I'm doing good. He said "I like you, you wanted to get better and followed my rules". Even for something small in comparison to your injury I'm still taking it easy. I don't plan on cutting any wood for some time. I'm back to my day to day stuff, moving wood, stacking, loading the stove, carrying the kid around and working but still don't think I'm ready to be hauling big heavy logs around yet. After my 6 week restriction(bending, lifting, twisting, 10bls) was over I was allowed to slowly get back into things I couldn't believe how fatigued my back would be from the easiest tasks. Heck even 12 weeks after I still think my back is a lot weaker than before I herniated my disk.

rdust said:
Great news! I know it's hard to keep following all the rules but the doctor hasn't lead you wrong yet. Keep following the rules and you'll be 100% or close in no time in the scheme of things.

I had my 12 week follow up for my microdiscectomy today and doc said I'm doing good. He said "I like you, you wanted to get better and followed my rules". Even for something small in comparison to your injury I'm still taking it easy. I don't plan on cutting any wood for some time. I'm back to my day to day stuff, moving wood, stacking, loading the stove, carrying the kid around and working but still don't think I'm ready to be hauling big heavy logs around yet. After my 6 week restriction(bending, lifting, twisting, 10bls) was over I was allowed to slowly get back into things I couldn't believe how fatigued my back would be from the easiest tasks. Heck even 12 weeks after I still think my back is a lot weaker than before I herniated my disk.
rdust,
I sure know what you mean. I am in week 19 and even with the bending, lifting, twisting , 10lbs. restrictions still in place, my back is really tired and sore by the end of the day. I am hoping to be where you are by Christmas. The doctor said he plans to lift some restrictions at my December 12th appointment, if everything still looks good. Sounds like you are really doing well though, considering. Thanks for the support.

Wow, I don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier.....I would say you are going through one of those ordeals in life that can only make you stronger. Good to keep reading how your recoevey is on the right track.
Having recovered from a back injury myself(but nowhere near the extent of your situation) please be very careful and give things lots of time. I know it's a hard thing to do but you don't want to mess up the progress you have made. For me, my body let me know when enough was enough on any given day. If I didn't listen to my body's warnings I surely would pay the price the next few days.

muncybob said:
Wow, I don't know how I didn't see this thread earlier.....I would say you are going through one of those ordeals in life that can only make you stronger. Good to keep reading how your recoevey is on the right track.
Having recovered from a back injury myself(but nowhere near the extent of your situation) please be very careful and give things lots of time. I know it's a hard thing to do but you don't want to mess up the progress you have made. For me, my body let me know when enough was enough on any given day. If I didn't listen to my body's warnings I surely would pay the price the next few days.
Thanks muncybob. Today was my first day back to work. Being a fire chief and inspector, I can easily stay within the restrictions. I took it easy today, and although I am tired, I don't feel any different than I have been feeling by the end of the day at home.......where I had little if anything to do. So far so good, thanks for the advise.

Congrats, Chief!
Keep up the good work and don't take on too much too fast!

Must have felt great to be back at work after everything you've been through. Very happy for you.

tfdchief said:
muncybob said:
Thanks muncybob. Today was my first day back to work. Being a fire chief and inspector, I can easily stay within the restrictions. I took it easy today, and although I am tired, I don't feel any different than I have been feeling by the end of the day at home.......where I had little if anything to do. So far so good, thanks for the advise.

Wait a minute . . . Fire Chiefs actually work? :) ;) I thought they just kind of waved their arms around a lot and sent the rookie out to get them a coffee and some donuts at break time. ;) Again . . . glad you're feeling better.

firefighterjake said:
tfdchief said:
muncybob said:

Wait a minute . . . Fire Chiefs actually work? :) ;) I thought they just kind of waved their arms around a lot and sent the rookie out to get them a coffee and some donuts at break time. ;) Again . . . glad you're feeling better.

:gulp: :lol:

good to hear your back at work Chief ;-)

loon

firefighterjake said:
You are right Jake, In fact, that is the only reason I got to go back to work.......'cause I don't do anything, and the Doc made me get that in writing from my boss, the city administrator.......which was no problem at all ;-P

Update: I have promised only pertinent updates since you all have been so incredibly supportive, but have ask me to keep you updated.
I had the first doctor appointment today, since October 24. It has been 6 months since my accident. Up to now, the doctor has been very cautious, not letting me bend or lift. Today, although I still hurt a lot, he gave me really good news!

The doctor said that my back looks healed and stable. Not what it was before the accident of course.

He showed me the X-ray this time, and I am not sure that I should have looked at it. The T11 and T12 don't look to bad, but the L-2.....looks pretty bad........crushed, and about 1/2 the thickness of the rest of them, and healed bone sticking into the spinal canal. All that said, the doc thought the X-ray looked great.....good alignment, and the same as it did 2 months ago. And he said I can start working on normal life, lifting and bending, a little at a time, until I build myself back up. He said just take it a little at a time and don't over do it. Doesn't want to see me for 6 months. He will X-ray then and he hopes that everything will look the same. He said there was really know way to know if all the pain would go away. He said in 6 months we will look at where I am at and if still in pain, I might want some surgery if he thinks he can relieve it.......I am counting on that NOT being the case.

So, Great news! I just wish I didn't hurt so much, and wear down so easy, but he said that is just part of the healing process and probably won't be any better for 6 more months. I will take it!

Thanks hearth.com for all the support over the last 6 months! I love you guys!

Steve

Great news!

The hardest part about this is going to be the "don't over do it" part.

Take your time and keep the good news coming. No setbacks!

pen

That is so awesome to hear! I am so happy he feels that it is stable now just dont overdo it during the rebuilding phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.