tfdchief injured in accident

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You are at a dangerous period where you feel good enough to want to get moving, but not healed enough to make it safe. Sounds like time for drugs. :) Lack of sleep can make one really edgy. I went through a period of chronic insomnia a while back and it was really rough. Made me a class A grump. I am really glad that's over.

BeGreen said:
You are at a dangerous period where you feel good enough to want to get moving, but not healed enough to make it safe. Sounds like time for drugs. :) Lack of sleep can make one really edgy. I went through a period of chronic insomnia a while back and it was really rough. Made me a class A grump. I am really glad that's over.
I am afraid you are right. I am going to talk to the doctor about all of this on Monday. Thanks for your concern BG., Steve

Thanks for the post with the update. It's good to know how you're doing, even though the news is distressing. I hope that the doc can help. I'd advise that you don't be stoic and heroic when you talk to him--letting him know that this is all just getting to be a bit much will help him help you. It may even be time for a few days in a hospital bed in traction if that's an alternative that might let you rest and get out of that brace for a bit. Just let him know that it's time to explore all your alternatives.

As an FYI, those recorded books I mentioned that are available through the libraries can be downloaded onto CD's for a long car journey, or MP3s/ipods/etc. for those long nights. Sometimes it can help to have the company of a good yarn when all else is asleep. If you want to try this and find the technology a bit daunting, please holler for help--there'll always be someone here who will be happy to advise.

Best wishes for a comfortable day, and help tomorrow.

snowleopard said:
Thanks for the post with the update. It's good to know how you're doing, even though the news is distressing. I hope that the doc can help. I'd advise that you don't be stoic and heroic when you talk to him--letting him know that this is all just getting to be a bit much will help him help you. It may even be time for a few days in a hospital bed in traction if that's an alternative that might let you rest and get out of that brace for a bit. Just let him know that it's time to explore all your alternatives.

As an FYI, those recorded books I mentioned that are available through the libraries can be downloaded onto CD's for a long car journey, or MP3s/ipods/etc. for those long nights. Sometimes it can help to have the company of a good yarn when all else is asleep. If you want to try this and find the technology a bit daunting, please holler for help--there'll always be someone here who will be happy to advise.

Best wishes for a comfortable day, and help tomorrow.
Thanks SL, good advise. I will remember that on Monday. And I will give the recorded books a try. God Bless, Steve

Steve,

I'm gonna give two pieces of advice that are most likely a tad controversial, but hear me out:

1. Find an activity that works some muscles and do it as much as possible. I don't care if it's squeezing a thick ball, or a spring-tensioned hand strengther, or curling a dumbbell. Do it. Do it as much as you can. Never strain the body, but focus on working whatever muscles you can.

The single biggest downfall of these injuries is muscular atrophy. It will occur. But the body resists losing muscle when any part of it is stimulated - and in fact will grow some muscles in unused places if other muscles are stimulated enough.

Be wise, listen to your body, but focus on using some of it to whatever extent you can. If needed, keep a log, and do more every single day than you did the day before - more weight, more reps, more sets - whatever it is you are doing, slightly increase every single day. Take on new exercises as the healing allows.

2. Visualize yourself healed and active. Not in the "yearning" sense, but in the actual take some time each day to visualize yourself doing the things you love like chopping wood. It works.

3. Pick something you want to become more conversant/expert in and begin studying it. Doesn't matter if it's eastern philosophy, the use of exotic accelerants in fire starting, or governmental economics and debt. Become an expert on it. Use online school options (i.e. check out the Khan Academy if you want to learn some new math skills). Spend 1-2 hours a day studying something new.

4. Ingest 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight per day, and ~3/4 gallon of water. This may be inconvenient, but significantly increased protein intake greatly speeds healing of all sorts of tissue. This was first discovered in burn victims AFAIK. I recommend looking into a high quality protein powder (check out bomber's blend made by Dave Draper, the workout partner of "Ahrnold" back in the 60s and now a tremendous guy) - 2 protein shakes a day can easily help push you up closer to where you need to be....

I can give more advice, but the stuff I'm writing is about helping you mentally and physically advance along with the body as it heals. There are olympians who break their backs - it is simply a matter of care, conditioning, and willpower. Nothing is outside of your ability to do.

Joe

joefrompa said:
Steve,

I'm gonna give two pieces of advice that are most likely a tad controversial, but hear me out:

Joe
Joe, Thank you for taking the time to give me the detailed advice. I have been trying some of these but hadn't considered others. I will give them a try. My single biggest issue right now is not sleeping and the heat which keeps me from doing the amount of walking I would like. It has not been out of the 90's here since I returned home from the hospital June 27. Steve

Accept the sleep issue and plan accordingly. Don't try to force yourself to sleep in a normal cycle - you are in an abnormal phase and it's fine to let your body sleep when it wants, and otherwise do stuff when you think you should be sleeping but the body doesn't want too. In other words - don't stress over the inability to sleep, find things you can do during that time that are acceptable.

I haven't followed the whole thread so forgive me, but if you are up walking consider all the options to increase the body stress of the activity without putting undue stress on the injured areas. Literally something as simple as heavy work boots in place of sneakers make a difference. Feel out your range of motion where the body doesn't protest much (i.e. can you squat down a little?). Do standing squats to that range of motion and find ways to add a bit of weight like holding small dumbbells/a jug of water right under your chin with both hands while doing it. Don't do these things till your body fails - but do them until you feel some sweat forming from the exercise. You are in no rush - learn to push yourself a little, then a little more the next day, and so on. It's a progression.

If you are walking, the best thing you can do is find a way to work your legs. Slight squats (called 1/4 squats) and such are huge. Use a 2x4 and a wall (for balance) to raise your heels up and down and work your calves. In fact, work your calves a ton. The calves act as the body's pump to get blood back up out of the legs - the blood pumps out of the heart and then sits down there. When the calves contract, they squeeze and pump blood back up (this is why standing still for awhile makes you faint - blood isn't being pumped back up).

If you can find safe ways to put some progressive loads/stress on your calves, hamstrings, quadriceps, and gluteal muscles then the battle will be 90% won. They represent the vast majority of muscle in your body and stimulating them will make the body retain muscle elsewhere (older studies showed that young men could do nothing but squats and gain muscle mass in their arms from the resultant systemic effects).

I'm hesitant to give specific recommendations on exercises without being there to assess you personally - hence you'll notice me not being too specific. However, you don't need a doctor to tell you which exercises are ok. Listen closely to your body. Let me know what feels ok for you and I'll give you recommendations on how to maximize that.

Joe

Also, honest question for you, is it simply discomfort that is keeping you from walking in the heat? Consider wearing some soaking wet headbands or pouring a bottle of water over your shirt then going for a little walking around. The significant moisture on your skin will keep you cool for awhile.

Can't walk, here's what you need Steve!

CA-2.jpg

All joking aside, I went for many, many years when I could not walk hardly at all and it was very painful. Yet, I found I could ride a bike with not as much pain and sometimes very little. Then as more body parts began to wear out I got a recumbent bike and am having a ball. It will be a while before you can do something like that though. Just thought I'd add it and hope to get a laugh out of you.

We'll be thinking of you tomorrow with the doctor appointment. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask and take pain meds. When pain interferes with your quality of life, take the meds. Getting off them is very easy too so don't even think about getting hooked on them. Well, some of the really heavy stuff can be bad but those would be monitored very close for you.

I'm one of those guys who thinks meds are for sissies, so every time I get injured I avoid them at all costs until the pain is so bad that I start injuring and/hurting in other places because I'm compensating for the injury. I also lose sleep, and get downright irritable.

Then I give in and get some adjustments and or something that helps and wonder why the heck I was so stupid for resisting to begin with.

There is often a fine line between too little and too much. You don't want so much that you are flat out numb like novocane (you know what I mean, like you could bite through your lip and not even notice, causing more injury because you can't sense ANY pain). But then you don't want so much pain that you are mentally and physically stressed out, that will impede your body's ability to heal as quickly as it can.

Not a whole lot to add to the conversation, but just letting you know I'm trying to send some positive vibes your way...

Keeping the fingers crossed for ya today Steve.....good luck!!!
Maybe something to help you sleep would be a good idea...after my surgery I could not sleep at all either...The doc gave me something to try short term and it worked like a charm....you need sleep to heal.....(I know you know that...just reinforcing it) :)

Thanks Joe, It is not the heat I can't take while walking, it is the getting the shirt under the brace soaking wet. My wife has Rheumatoid Arthritis and she can't take the brace on and off me so getting cleaned up and clean shirt would half to wait until one of my sons or friends could come do it.

BS, you are amazing, thanks

Thanks Danno, I am going to address it with the Dr.

GR, you are up early on this day of travel to the Dr for me. Thanks for the well wishes. I will be leaving shortly, since the Dr is a 3 hour drive. I will keep you posted how it goes.

Steve

Got it - again, didn't read the whole thread, sorry I missed the description of the brace. Have you considered wearing underarmor-like shirts or sport shirts that wick away moisture?

Might keep you more comfortable for longer, and less stinky :)

joefrompa said:
Got it - again, didn't read the whole thread, sorry I missed the description of the brace. Have you considered wearing underarmor-like shirts or sport shirts that wick away moisture?

Might keep you more comfortable for longer, and less stinky :)

Joe, those may not work well even though in theory they might. The reason I state this is because I tried it....and it was worse. I had to then go to coating myself with cortisone cream daily until that healed up. I went back to simple cotton and although it can get a bit like a washcloth, it did not make me sore.

Hope your appointment goes well, Chief.

You should be getting a small box from Alaska there in the next day or two..

BSavage - From a prevention-of-bed-sores standpoint (pressure ulcers) and from an exercise standpoint, cotton is not a preferable fabric. I'm guessing you got a rash hence the cortisone cream - rashes are almost always pressure + moisture + rubbing (or just the first two). So I wonder what type of fabric you were using.

Here's some relevant info pulled off a first-click site:

Clothing - Select snug fitting (but not tight) clothing. Too tight or too loose will create friction and rubbing.

Choose breathable, wicking fabrics .... Coolmax, Supplex, Polypro, etc are good choices. No cotton!

Clothing should have few seams, flat seams, and small flat stitching.

Do not wear untested clothing on a long walk and never wear unwashed new clothing.

Stay Dry - Use talcum powder or cornstarch to stay dry.

Frostbit said:
Hope your appointment goes well, Chief.

You should be getting a small box from Alaska there in the next day or two..
Thanks Frostbit!, I can't hardly wait. Never got anything from Alaska before. :)
Thanks Joe and BS. The only thing I know is they specifically told me to wear cotton under the brace.

Update: Dr appointment went well yesterday. Long trip, 3 hrs. each way, (the accident did not happen at home)
The Dr said I am healing very well and is very optimistic that I will make a full recovery, sometime about Thanksgiving. For now, 6 more weeks in the brace with restrictions, no bending twisting, or lifting anything heavier than a glass of water. He also wrote me a prescription for a new, less restrictive and hopefully more comfortable brace! Then after the brace comes off, a gradual increase in what I get to do. So September 12 will be a big date in my life. It looks like I will get to burn some wood this winter. Probably will have to take it easy at first with how much wood I carry and maybe won't get much cut and split, but at least I will get to enjoy my wood burners. :)
The thoughts and prayers coming from this forum and family, and friends I didn't know I had, are getting me through this! Thank you all.

God Bless All of you,
Steve

That's awesome to hear! You have been in my family's thoughts and prayers.

Yee Haw Steve!!!!....great news....was waiting for your "update" post..... :)

Oh yeah, baby. Slow and steady wins the race. When it comes time to move firewood to the stove, remember, it doesn't have to happen in one trip. There is NO rule that says you can't grab a couple of splits at a time and shuffle them in.

joefrompa said:
BSavage - From a prevention-of-bed-sores standpoint (pressure ulcers) and from an exercise standpoint, cotton is not a preferable fabric. I'm guessing you got a rash hence the cortisone cream - rashes are almost always pressure + moisture + rubbing (or just the first two). So I wonder what type of fabric you were using.

Here's some relevant info pulled off a first-click site:

Clothing - Select snug fitting (but not tight) clothing. Too tight or too loose will create friction and rubbing.

Choose breathable, wicking fabrics .... Coolmax, Supplex, Polypro, etc are good choices. No cotton!

Clothing should have few seams, flat seams, and small flat stitching.

Do not wear untested clothing on a long walk and never wear unwashed new clothing.

Stay Dry - Use talcum powder or cornstarch to stay dry.

Thanks Joe.

It all comes back to me and indeed where they fitted me with the brace also gave me the same instructions.

Polypro was the first one we tested and immediately I found that it did not work. I'm thinking thermax was the other but don't remember off the top of my head. Other fabrics were cotton or a cotton/poly amongst others.

Perhaps what made mine so bad was that the brace went from up at the shoulders to down on the hips. At first they just fitted the brace but with the problems we tried punching holes in the brace. It didn't help much. Then they lined the brace. Believe it or not that helped and was no hotter but that nagging problem continued. Every time I removed the brace my body was red wherever the brace covered. Gradually, after going with straight cotton, that stopped. Then gradually I kept going without the brace more and more. There are many times even now when I should wear it but don't just because one gets tired of the darned things. I also have a chairback brace that is leather lined and that one is not so bad but it is nowhere near what the other brace is.

On the talc of cornstarch, methinks the cornstarch works best.

Steve, it sounds good and Thanksgiving time would seem quite fast for what you have so you can once again count your blessings. Glad to hear things are getting done and you are getting better.

Excellent news Chief! That is wonderful. Just take it slow and easy. Did the doc prescribe some sleep meds too? That will help until the brace is off.

We use a garden cart for moving wood. It lets us move a lot of wood easily and without strain, and we're geezers.

Status
Not open for further replies.