Thanks for all the help...Now the install can begin. Update I finally got it installed and running!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Want to thank everyone for answering my persistant questions. Installing this insert had me a bit nervous. Anyhow no one locally could even come close to matching the online price of liner, so I went the online route. I also questioned whether to insulate or not and it came down to the piece of mind was worth the $189. I have an unlined chimney and as much as I tried there was no way all the creosote was coming out of there. I finally reasoned my way into purchasing the liner as I just went out and replaced extinquishers, batteries and a few detector and it ran me over a $100 and I thought that was cheap insurance so the $189 will let me sleep well knowing that it is done as good as it can be. So now I can begin the hearth build. I will get some pics up and keep everyone updated. Again thanks for the help.

Its refreshing to hear safety take a front seat this time on year. Wish you luck on the install. Do take lots of pictures or else how will we know it happened?
No worries on the liner install once done youll sleep well.

Peace of mind is priceless.
Doing it right the first time, saves quit a bit of money in most cases. Some of my short cuts cost me plenty.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Good luck

I'm a big believer in over-building things . . . whether it's over-building the hearth with an added R value . . . more clearance . . . double wall pipe . . . optional shields . . . at least when it comes to something that could potentially burn down my house and kill me.

Have to agree with you. A little extra care, quality and clearances = peace of mind. If it costs a bit more, so be it. That's very cheap insurance when pro'ed out over the life of the system.

Well the hearth board is built an tiled. Grout tomorrow, and wait for pipe to get here.
I think the wife will happy to get my junk out of the living room. The board is 2 1/2" sheets of plywood, covered with Micore 300, then Durock. The back edge that sits against the fireplace has a piece of micore that is cover with sheet metal. I put that piece in there to cover the plywood which otherwise would have been open to the insert.

293kn6s.jpg

262mgi8.jpg

293kn6s.jpg

262mgi8.jpg

Looks good.
Closer to burning :)

That's coming along nicely! Pretty soon we should be seeing the whole hearth coming together and look forward to the pics.. I applied 3 coats of water based semi-gloss poly to the red oak trim that surrounds my hearth yesterday and it looks pretty good.. The final step will be to grout the red oak to the tile and then I will consider it done.. Keep up the good work!

Ray

Well it's in place anyway whether I wanted it to be or not. Hopefully the liner gets here in the next day or so. And get some plates made for the sides of the trim. Since the stove didn't come with trim I modified my old glass fireplace doors.

os4z2g.jpg

am7ehi.jpg

rwhite said:
Well it's in place anyway whether I wanted it to be or not. Hopefully the liner gets here in the next day or so. And get some plates made for the sides of the trim. Since the stove didn't come with trim I modified my old glass fireplace doors.

Very neat idea.

Good ole "American ingenuity"
Good idea.

Maybe someone can chime in on a blower cord issue. The cord comes out on the right hand side of the blower (by the white rheostat knob) and is now tucked under the front of the blower. All my outlets are on the left hand side of the hearth. Is this safe? How heat resistant are these cords?

The cord should be ok. Maybe put a nice copper kindling holder on the right side to hide it a bit.

It sure looks good. My guess is that someone has a much happier wife too.

Good job RW looks great!

Congrats!

Ray

Its in !!!!!! And on it's maiden voyage (for me anyway). The thing burns awesome, no smoke smell in the basement and it heats the house! Thanks for all the help

muwmz9.jpg

A few lessons learned:
Have a helper. I had no one around today and it took me 10 hours to get this installed.

That pipe is not as flexible as you think.

The insulation adds alot of weight (again the helper)

And last....I'm glad I don't crawl on roofs for a living.

The hard work was worth it, looks really good, I really like your trim made with your old doors.

Congratulations man, looking good and you made it before the deadline.

Very nice work. Enjoyed seeing the progress and can relate to the final reward of doing something yourself and feeling the warm end result. Many fine folks here on this forum to help sure makes one feel warm as well. :coolsmile:

I don't have a stovetop thermometer yet so I have been taking it easy but this is the type of heat I remember in my parent house. When the forced air would turn on it would bake you out of the house with hot air, but it started getting cold as soon as it shut off. Wood heat seems to heat everything around slowly and releases all night. I got a 4-5 hour burn last night which may be the max for this little stove and a mix of wood. But it was 35 F this morning and the house was still 70 F when I got up PLUS the heater never kick on!

The fan on the stairs worked wonders to heat the upstairs. Another advantage of wood heat. I tried the fan trick with forced air heat and it didn't work so I was skeptical of being able to heat upstairs. Last night the upstairs room was only 3 degrees cooler than dowm stairs. Unheard of for this house.

Looks good!

On my Osburn, the cord can easily be moved to the other side of the blower unit. Just have to move the cord, switch and rheostat to punchouts in the sheet metal at the other side.

Also, not sure about your model but, on the 2200, a stovetop thermo is useless because of the outer wall used around the stove for the blower air. It never gets above ~250 and not a good indicator of internal temps.

cygnus said:
Looks good!

On my Osburn, the cord can easily be moved to the other side of the blower unit. Just have to move the cord, switch and rheostat to punchouts in the sheet metal at the other side.

Also, not sure about your model but, on the 2200, a stovetop thermo is useless because of the outer wall used around the stove for the blower air. It never gets above ~250 and not a good indicator of internal temps.

I didn't think about a knockout (on the stove right?)...I just looked and seen that one side was blocked off. I did see the holes for switching everything around though. When the stove cools I'll take a look. Did you just leave the side that's already knocked out open?. Laid a meat thermometer on the stove and it was reading 450 but i run the fan pretty low.

My blower unit, with all the electrical (cord, blower, switch, thermoswitch, etc) pulls right off the stove. So, there are no knockouts or anything on the stove itself. I just have to lift the unit off of two clips that hold it. Then, there are just a few cut-outs on left and right of the unit itself. They are not visible and nothing needs to be removed. The metal is just cut on both sides to hold the cord, switch and rheostat. You can sort off get the idea here: http://parts.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?IdSite=3&Id=OB02201

Looks like yours might be similar: http://parts.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?IdSite=3&Id=OB01601

When cool, open the door and lift up on the blower unit. It may take some jiggling but I suspect it will pop off.

Looks great & your are getting heat!
Good job!

cygnus said:
My blower unit, with all the electrical (cord, blower, switch, thermoswitch, etc) pulls right off the stove. So, there are no knockouts or anything on the stove itself. I just have to lift the unit off of two clips that hold it. Then, there are just a few cut-outs on left and right of the unit itself. They are not visible and nothing needs to be removed. The metal is just cut on both sides to hold the cord, switch and rheostat. You can sort off get the idea here: http://parts.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?IdSite=3&Id=OB02201

Looks like yours might be similar: http://parts.osburn-mfg.com/product.aspx?IdSite=3&Id=OB01601

When cool, open the door and lift up on the blower unit. It may take some jiggling but I suspect it will pop off.

It looks like the same blower but the question I have is with the squirell cage on the left there is a hole/cutout on the stove for air to enter the jacket. If the cage is on the right side there is a plate on the stove right in front of the fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.