The Art of the Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphie Boy

Minister of Fire
Feb 12, 2012
Rabbit Hash, Kentucky
DSC_0035 (1200x1083).jpg

Just messing around today and came up with this. Not bad for an old guy with a broken index finger. Kid stuff for the more experienced however.
Okay out there, let's se your split art!;lol

You're still poppin' wood with a busted finger?? You are the man! :eek:

What kind of wood is that?

The cherry I split last week was called abstract art................!!
Oh, I thought those were Cherry shake shingles. ;)

I'll split a 6 pack with ya! Too hot fer wood now;lol

I would guess its some species of red oak?

Very nice. 12 splits from 1 round.
Must have been a "split before lifting" sized round.
I love the smell of fresh split wood in the morning. LOL :)

Reactions: n3pro
You're still poppin' wood with a busted finger?? You are the man! :eek:

What kind of wood is that?
White Ash been cut for 6 months before being split.

Looks like you were having some fun Ralph.

Ralph,
You must be the Zenmaster splitter! I have a good maul and a nice X27, but my splits are never that accurate. And I will add that I have split many, many cords of firewood. Guess some have it and some do not. My stacks are pretty good though!
Take care,
Tim

Nice straight Ash can be a blast to split. Not sure I could duplicate that though. Nice work

How did you make the first split? Usually I would expect the first split to pass the whole way through the round in a more or less straight line. I don't see any split that is straight through the round, so which split was first?

You are a God Ralph ;ex ;lol ;lol Mine look like total crap compared to that ! This could be a Ralph, Dennis showdown !

Pete

Nice looking split job. I have changed over the years and don't like triangle splits anymore. I try to split a large round into all relatively square splits. They stack better in the stacks and the stove. Just me.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
That looks like a bloomin' onion. This is the best I can show for my split art. IMAG0159-1.jpg IMAG0163.jpg

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
You are a God Ralph ;ex ;lol ;lol Mine look like total crap compared to that ! This could be a Ralph, Dennis showdown !

Nice looking split job. I have changed over the years and don't like triangle splits anymore. I try to split a large round into all relatively square splits. They stack better in the stacks and the stove. Just me.

This round was a bit small. Generally I split more square.:p

How did you make the first split? Usually I would expect the first split to pass the whole way through the round in a more or less straight line. I don't see any split that is straight through the round, so which split was first?

The round used was a white ash round that was from a tree cut in February. It is somewhat dry but not dry enough to burn, which is, I think, the key to making it work.
I drive the wedge in at about 1/3 of the diameter of the round for the first split. Then rotate the round 90 degrees and split again. This is done 4 times total. Then each of the 4 splits is then split into 3 or 4 pieces each, depending on the size of the round. Some times if the round was large enough I split the center sguare into 2 pieces as well.
While it may not look like it in the photo, each split is all the way through the round. The only thing holding the splits is some small strands of about the width and thickness one would use to weave baskets.
This was by far not my best effort, it just happened to have my camera with me at the time. I’ve done this many, many times just to amuse myself while spending 4 hours splitting so I just thought I’d share.;em

Ralph, That's very nice. For me that round is 4 pieces.

Split art, eh?...
100_1025.jpg

Try and do that by hand.;lol

Jags, I would even lend them my monster maul to try on that round !! and then take pics, videos as they tried ;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.