The Art of the Split

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the guys that claim to be able to split everything by hand. I just nod my head. Oh yea???

I do split by hand BUT I am picky about what I split... I don't see much elm around here and when I do I make lots of noodles...

My first pass through the pile to to split the clean hardwood rounds like oak. This builds my confidence and loosens my muscles. Then I do the clean rounds that are not as easy to split. Getting my momentum up.Third pass is trimming the crouch pieces as much as possible by hand. Finally I attack the hard to split pieces. What is left gets noodled to death.

I stack in the same order I split. Those beautiful, almost square splits from the first pass are stacked about 7 - 8 feet high under the deck. The uglies are about 4 feet high out in the open.

KaptJaq

Nice looking split job. I have changed over the years and don't like triangle splits anymore. I try to split a large round into all relatively square splits. They stack better in the stacks and the stove. Just me.
How difficult is that with a maul or sledge & wedge? I haven't even considered trying that with hand tools.

Holy cow, how big are they?
It's a little hard to see how big that round is, but I leave 80 percent of my splits with one of it's side 6 inchs. They burn fine in a hot stove. Less refills.

Status
Not open for further replies.