The Cold Commeth

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

restorer

Hearth Supporter
Aug 16, 2006
Salt Lake City, Utah
Just got a mid-range weather forecast. Looks like we're going to get it in 2-3 days. A somewhat prolonged cold spell. Not much snow' but the big chill and wind. MSG, you'll get the snow. We sometimes get a day or two a year where the temps are single digits, but they are saying 2-3 days at or below zero. Going to bring in extra pellets to test the limit of the stove, no shop heat for this weekend.

Well I certainly hope that cold air makes it here to New England. This rainy warm weather is killing me!
I was working on something out in the yard on Saturday and there were bees buzzing around me.
Are you kidding? It is January for Pete's sake!

Craig

MountainStoveGuy said:
Grrrrrrrrrrr.

This sucker is directed to the East. Let's call it the Sierra Express, you Mid-Westerners will only fuel the express. Last time I remember one of these was when I lived in Upstate New York. Took Syracuse to 27 below zero.

We're on the front line here. It's supposed to start changing tomorrow night. Squirrely on Wednesday. First time I've seen snowthunder in the forcast. By early Thursday the cold sets in with ice. I hate ice. Hopefully we'll start thawing out by the weekend, but teens for us means bitter cold in the mid-section of the country. Gentlemen, get ready to start your stoves.

MALogger said:
Well I certainly hope that cold air makes it here to New England. This rainy warm weather is killing me!
I was working on something out in the yard on Saturday and there were bees buzzing around me.
Are you kidding? It is January for Pete's sake!

Craig

I loved reading your post! I live in the Philadelphia area and last Saturday it was 73 degrees! I was out the day before and was sweating because I overdressed! It's 35 degrees now - more in tune with the season! 8-/

27 degrees here in Richmond but it will be back up near 60 today. weeklong weather forcast keeps it unusually warm.

COLD WEATHER ACROSS THE USA

60 above zero.  Floridians turn the heat on.  People in the Midwest plant gardens.

50 above zero.  Californians shiver uncontrollably.  People in the Midwest sunbathe.

40 above zero.  Italian and English cars won't start.  People in the Midwest drive with the windows down.

32 above zero.  Distilled water freezes. Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.

20 above zero.  Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves and hats.  People in the Midwest throw on a flannel shirt.

15 above zero.  New York landlords finally turn on the heat. People in the Midwest have the last cookout before it turns cold.

Zero.  People in Miami die - or return to Cuba.  Midwesterners close the windows.

10 below zero.  Californians go to Mexico.  People in the Midwest get out their Winter coats.

25 below zero.  Hollywood disintegrates.  Girl Scouts in the Midwest are selling cookies door to door.

40 below zero.  Washington DC runs out of hot air.  People in the Midwest let their dogs sleep inside.

100 below zero.  Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.  People in the Midwest (New England transplants) get frustrated because "the caah won't staaht, betta staaht a faah.".

275 below zero.  All atomic motion stops.  (Absolute zero on the Kelvin scale).  People in the Midwest finally stop saying "cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 below zero.  Hell freezes over.  No one in Florida is surprised because it explains why the Gators won the Championship.

Aye,
Marty

Yipee!!! Winter will be here in two weeks!! Yipee!!

(what am I nuts? - nah - I just love the fia!)

Heading into the teens here in the Sierra by Thur. Going to be near zero in the high country. And me with a half finished house with no stove installed as yet. Gonna be eating up the propane the next few days If I want to keep working.

"the caah won’t staaht, betta staaht a faah"

Freaking hilarious. Trying to avoid laughing too hard at work.

I wonder how cold it has to get outside before the water flooding my crawlspace freezes? I could go ice scating on my belly.

Its 30 out right now, and the woodburner is loving it! The house is 76 and finally I see snow. Its a good feeling to know that all that wood is going towards some warm bones.

Heading for the mid teens here tonight, maybe time to close the windows ;-)

Hi there, well while you guys dream of winter and temperatures of the low 30's think of me in Australia, where it is 37 today, thats 37 celcius, almost 100F and tomorrow will be 40C (104F)

Even though we are in those temps, I am in the process of putting out all our pre season deals, we are manufacturer of wood stoves over here. Sales of wood stoves in Australia start from now and run up until the end July, thats when we go into hibernation until January!

I look forward to swapping some stories about wood stoves with all of you!

[email protected]

jimkelt said:
My family lives in Colorado.
They are wishing for the January thaw, and I am wishing I had their snow!

Me too! Well, just a small portion of what they
got would bring in the cha ching for me.
Gotta say though, if it weren't for the fact that snow is
a money maker for me, I wouldn't give
a darn whether we had cold weather or not.
I'd rather be riding the scoot or fishing in
the boat any day of the week over sitting
in front of the stove....
that said, it's 36F here right now with an
expected low of 23F tonight so I'm glad we
have the fire going.

Status
Not open for further replies.