The Defiant

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
Up and running... finally. No deaths to report in the process of acquiring the parts.

It seems to like the taller chimney so far. This is the chimney that the Heritage was connected to. Firebox is about 30% full with a stove top at 550 degrees. Not trying to do a low burn, yet. Just making sure everything is running like it should.

Good to hear that it's finally up and running. It's been a long slog of mis-shipments. Does the UPS person stop for coffee now?

Reactions: n3pro
Order a new glass for the door. When it gets cold you are going to throw a rock at it and need another 30-NC. ;lol

Reactions: n3pro and pen
Order a new glass for the door. When it gets cold you are going to throw a rock at it and need another 30-NC. ;lol
That's how I felt with the Heritage. My heat retention blows and by the end of January the burn times on the Heritage were really grinding on me.

Good to hear that it's finally up and running. It's been a long slog of mis-shipments. Does the UPS person stop for coffee now?
I was freaking out that poor guy. I would open the door every time right before he would knock.

I was freaking out that poor guy. I would open the door every time right before he would knock.

Did that the other day myself. UPS truck pulled up and I saw if on the security cam. Problem was I hadn't ordered anything. The way they dump and run my neighbor would have been pissed. I caught him before he dumped it.

The Defiant is way better then a 30-NC but if I had a small space and wanted a cheap stove I'd consider a 30-NC.

The Defiant is way better then a 30-NC but if I had a small space and wanted a cheap stove I'd consider a 30-NC.
A small space for the 30? Color me confused.

Yeah. Sleeping under a sheet when it is under ten degrees outside in this 1985 2,500 sq. ft. two story barn confuses me too. ;lol

Of course it don't get cold in Virginia.

The Defiant

Reactions: barn burner
I'm noticing the cat is engaging quicker on this chimney than on the chimney that the 30 is now hooked up to. This chimney is about 25'. The chimney that the 30 is connected to is about 18'.

The 30 is gonna be about optimal on that chimney. Well, if it is six inch lined it will be. If it is a big ass tile chimney, no.

But breaking out the glass in your Defiant because it doesn't put out enough heat when its cold makes perfect sense? LOL

Glad it is working for you now.

The 30 is gonna be about optimal on that chimney. Well, if it is six inch lined it will be. If it is a big ass tile chimney, no.
It's lined. I installed liners on every chimney. It was tough to manage the expense, but worth it. Also, the chimney that the 30 is connected to is huge. There isn't a stove in the world that would have drafted properly from that chimney if it were unlined.

But breaking out the glass in your Defiant because it doesn't put out enough heat when its cold makes perfect sense? LOL
It made total sense. Bart was just giving me crap about running a Defiant as oppose to a big old steel firebox.

It made total sense. Bart was just giving me crap about running a Defiant as oppose to a big old steel firebox.

O sorry I didn't know. I thought he was putting down the Defiant. I have one I like. Guess I need to chill. I'm getting warmed up reading posts.

O sorry I didn't know. I thought he was putting down the Defiant. I have one I like. Guess I need to chill. I'm getting warmed up reading posts.
I've used cast iron, soapstone, and steel stoves. I've used Pre-EPA stoves, non-cat stoves, and cat stoves. Every stove has it's flaws. This includes the Defiant. Do not take comments about a stove too seriously. It is not a dig against your purchase or you. Not every stove works well for every user.

BBar, glad to hear that ordeal is over. Nice to see you've maintained a sense of humor after all that.;)

LOL, to give you a little history, here's a link related to BrotherBart throwing things (in particular beer cans) https://www.hearth.com/talk/search/6231532/?q="beer+can"&o=date&c[user][0]=6 ;lol

pen

My apologizes to Brother Bart. I mistook your comment. No hard feelings I hope. I'm new around here. I really like this site. I'm online everyday and I am on this site everyday reading posts and looking at pictures. Learning good stuff. Plus it motivating seeing and hearing what you guys on here are doing. So I would like to be a positive here as we'll. So again Brother Bart I'm sorry.

My fault. Forgot to use a smiley. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.