The Jotul has arrived! Awesome stove, but have some questions.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine stays between 400-500 deg then cools off after a few hours until I reload.. any hotter than that and its too damn hot in here. I sometimes use the ashpan door, but its not a good habit to get into for the above mentioned reasons. I really love that hearth. If it were mine Id fill it with cast iron cookware on those hangers and maybe a small wood pile out of clearance range to fill in that enormous space a little. Looks awesome though.

Thanks again for all the help! I will not be using the ash tray, only the side door. My "only" issue now is the fire itself. I am not sure if I am just using too wet of wood (25%), or I am doing something wrong, but it is taken me a good 45 min of messing with the logs, door, etc. in order to get a fire that will not go out in 5 min. Any tricks anyone can give?

Thanks!

ball up lots ..lots of newspaper....start with good kindling .....make a nice hot kindling fire...really get it going.....then use your smallest pieces of split wood first....gradually add larger pieces.
seasoned wood is key.

adrpga498 said:
I have found that openig the glass doors (2) older Castine reduces the JET engine affect when when emptying the ash pan. This procedure is only done when I'm down to coals in the am after an overnight burn. Hopes this makes sence and may help on the Oslo group.

Great idea. Why didn't I think of that (smacking my forehead). I'm going to try it the next time I pull the pan while the stove's going.

Yarzy said:
Everyone,

I finally got my Jotul F500 Oslo installed yesterday. So far, I am really liking the stove. It is heating well and I really like the way it looks. I do have some questions for the experts as this is my first wood burning stove. Sorry for the beginner questions.

1. I have a thermostat on the unit, placed on the top of it. How hot should, or can, I get this? I did the break in burns, so the top heat so far has been about 400. I guess I am not sure how hot I can attempt to get this thing. I believe the normal operating temps are 400-600 . . . you can go a bit higher, but these seem to be good temps to stay at.
2. I saw in the manual that I should never run the stove with the ash tray open, however I get a REALLY strong burn when I open it. It is like a jet engine. My question is, can I open it for a few min when I am starting a new fire? It's a bad idea . . . a better way to start a fire is to keep the side door open a bit . . . much safer in terms of reducing possible damage to your stove.
3. How tight can I pack this thing? I know once I get enough guts, I would like to try to burn overnight. I am not sure how much wood is too much. You can pack it full . . . but I generally leave an inch or so space between the wood and burn tubes . . . I might also suggest you experiment first during the day to get the feel of how to load the stove, what size splits to use, how much you can dial down the air, etc.
4. How low of a temp is too low? Is there such a thing as too low?

Normal operating temp for the stove is 400-600 . . . the key is to bring the stove up to temp, then start dialing down the air . . . lower the air in quarter increments until you reach the point where you can have a good, sustained secondary without suffocating the fire.
Thanks so much for all your help so far on this project. I included a picture of what it looks like installed. Thanks again!

Yarzy said:
Thanks again for all the help! I will not be using the ash tray, only the side door. My "only" issue now is the fire itself. I am not sure if I am just using too wet of wood (25%), or I am doing something wrong, but it is taken me a good 45 min of messing with the logs, door, etc. in order to get a fire that will not go out in 5 min. Any tricks anyone can give?

Thanks!

Top down fire . . . and use plenty of kindling. Also, once you are burning 24/7 you'll find things are much easier than doing the occasional fire.

Wow! That is the best fireplace I've seen in a long time. Makes me want to put a comfy, fireproof sofa inside beside the stove (which looks tiny in comparison!) and curl up with a good book...

Yarzy said:

Thanks!

Moisture content of 25% is too high, especially when starting a new fire. That is probably the biggest reason people struggle with enjoying their stoves. You can burn this wood, but you spend the first hour "seasoning" the wood in the stove (i.e., burning off the water). As mentioned above, use thin splits, 2x2; not big 4 x 4 or bigger. You can add a bigger split once you have hot coals. Some other tips:

-- arrange so that there is good air circulation around the splits (one way is to have some short splits that you put in North - South, i.e., front to back, and then put in another layer at 90 degs, East - West, side to side)
-- if you can get some dry wood or dry bio bricks, scrap kiln dried lumber, etc. to mix in, that will help
-- learn how to do a top down fire, search on the forum on the words "top down" (load your stove and then put the newspaper, super cedar, or other type of fire starter, and kindling ON TOP of the splits - it really works well to get the heat concentrated up at the burn tubes. The splits below will catch on faster than you think via radiation. Also, check out the Canadian video starting Vanessa. I was skeptical at first, but am now a "top down" true believer. Secondaries take off the faster because you don't have to get the whole load of wood, heated up, and burning, to get the top of the stove up to secondary burn temp.
-- buy wood for next year NOW and store it in a place that gets good sun and wind, uncovered - stack in an alternating orientation to allow good air circulation. (I struggled last winter getting my fires going, but not this winter because I now have two year old oak. I her that three year old oak (split and stacked) is even better.
-- stay one to two years ahead of when you plan to burn so you have wood < 20% MC.

The above tips can help you get through this winter. But by getting a year to two ahead, you won't be relying on someone's word that the wood you are buying is "seasoned." If you are cutting your own, it doesn't start really seasoning until it is split, so you really need to be two years ahead if your dealing with oak.

If you think it is fun now, wait until you have a few cords of really seasoned wood. I can easily have strong secondaries within 30 minutes, sometimes 20 minutes, especially on reloads with a good bed of coals. Light it up, two or three adjustments on the air control and it's cruising time. When it is well seasoned wood, you can also shut down the air control completely after the secondaries are well established. This is also a function of having a strong draft. I am running about a 24' insulated chimney liner and I have all the draft I need, sometimes too much (hot reloads), once the flue temp is up to 300 F.

So enjoy - Also, you certainly have created a lot of "hearth envy" here with that beauty.

Wow! LOTS of good information from everyone, thanks again!

Well, to start, I think my biggest issue is wet wood. People said I would have this issue and I think they are 100% correct. I think I am also putting too big of logs on the fire too soon. I am using the newspaper, kindling, then log method, but I think I just need to have a little more patience. I will be researching the top down method to see how that works.

One other question…how often should I be cleaning out the ash tray? Every day? Is there a downside in having it too “open†and no ash?

Thanks!

Yarzy said:

Well, to start, I think my biggest issue is wet wood. People said I would have this issue and I think they are 100% correct. I think I am also putting too big of logs on the fire too soon. I am using the newspaper, kindling, then log method, but I think I just need to have a little more patience. I will be researching the top down method to see how that works.

One other question…how often should I be cleaning out the ash tray? Every day? Is there a downside in having it too “open†and no ash?

Thanks!

Definitely try the top down method . . . some folks love it, some hate it . . . and some folks like me tried it the first few times and didn't think much of it, experimented a bit more with it and now this is pretty much how I cold start a fire since it establishes a draft early and keeps everything from collapsing on itself and smothering the fire.

Ash tray . . . if you are burning 24/7 you probably do not want to clean it out more than 1-2 times a week . . . almost every stove out there works better with an inch or so of ash/coals in the firebox . . . but if you have too much ash over-filling the ash pan then there's no room for the wood . . . what I do is stir the coals/ash when I reload after an overnight or overday fire . . . this knocks the fine ash down into the ash pan . . . leaving the coals on top . . . and as mentioned I empty the fine ash in the ash pan 1-2 times a week . . . but I never completely clean out the ash in the firebox.

Yarzy said:

Well, to start, I think my biggest issue is wet wood.....I will be researching the top down method to see how that works.
My red oak doesn't have a full year cured, and some of it throws a "hissy fit" in the firebox. I don't know if a top-down fire will "season" that oak as quickly as a conventional fire. I have catalytic stoves, and don't really know if burning wet wood through the combustor will hurt it....
Surprisingly, a shingle oak limb that I had trimmed this summer is burning fairly well, the smaller rounds anyway....

just for the heck of it, you should go to the local grocery store and buy a few bundles of that wood they sell there.
that would is kiln dried and for sure "seasoned" you will see a night and day difference and at least be able to experiment a bit with your stove.
you should wouldnt want to use it all heating season ans it would be very costly. but just get like 2-3 bags of it to see the difference and tried the top down burn.
just a suggestion :)

Buster Leitov said:
Yarzy said:

Well, to start, I think my biggest issue is wet wood.....I will be researching the top down method to see how that works.
My red oak doesn't have a full year, and some of it throws a "hissy fit" in the firebox. I don't know if a top-down fire will "season" that oak as quickly as a conventional fire. I have catalytic stoves, and don't really know if burning wet wood through the combustor will hurt it....
Surprisingly, a shingle oak limb that I had trimmed this summer is burning fairly well, the smaller rounds anyway....

I suspect top down and conventional fires will not really help you out much . . . the best solution of course would be better seasoned wood . . . short of that it will be a matter of burning enough kindling or truly dry wood to drive the moisture out of the wood so it can ignite and burn . . . not very efficient and it can produce more creosote this way . . . but you've gotta do what you've gotta do to stay warm.

Don't own a cat stove myself . . . but the one thing I've read over and over is that burning unseasoned wood in a cat stove will most assuredly ruin the cat if you try to run it with the cat engaged. Perhaps Dennis and other cat stove owners can verify this. . . .

ruth140 said:
the oslo doesnt have a cat.

In reply to this post . . .

My red oak doesn’t have a full year, and some of it throws a “hissy fit†in the firebox. I don’t know if a top-down fire will “season†that oak as quickly as a conventional fire. I have catalytic stoves, and don’t really know if burning wet wood through the combustor will hurt it….
Surprisingly, a shingle oak limb that I had trimmed this summer is burning fairly well, the smaller rounds anyway….

Signature
Dutchwest small cat, circa ‘98.
Englander 24 radiant, 1984, sawed legs, loaned out.
“Monkeyâ€â€”Howard Stove Works-Omaha, early 1900s.
Not enough dry wood stacked.

ruth140 said:
sorry, i am new to these forums...did not see that you were not the original poster who has a new jotul oslo :)
I'm not new to forums, but I sure missed the cat info a few posts back. :red:

Anyway, Yarzy, nice stove. Their are many happy Oslo owners here. Enjoy your new toy....learning all about it will be fun. :)

ruth140 said:
sorry, i am new to these forums...did not see that you were not the original poster who has a new jotul oslo :)

No need to be sorry . . . I have thick skin . . . matches my thick belly. ;) :) . . . besides I can't tell you the times I have commented on something and then realized that I was writing about something totally unrelated to the question at hand . . . so at least you were writing about the original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.