The tractor lift not going back to the ground. The fix? Pics.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
I have this cheap tractor lift from Harbor Fright. Got it last year, used literally couple times. It went up and never retracted back.
It goes up cool inches, then retracts same couple inches and stays.
Been outside for a year, so the arm started to rust, don't beat me to that.
What do I do with that?

IMG_0929.jpeg IMG_0930.jpeg IMG_0931.jpeg IMG_0932.jpeg

The rust on the hydraulic jack rod is likely your problem. It's going destroy the seals. You need a new jack, and don't leave it outside next time.

The rust on the hydraulic jack rod is likely your problem. It's going destroy the seals. You need a new jack, and don't leave it outside next time.
It broke two weeks after being out of box with shiny Jack rod

i would almost say you over extended the jack and messed up the seals inside.. Like said above take the jack out and make sure the rest of the unit works well

The mechanism is simply pivot points. Clean oil Etc and they should work just fine at the end of the day. That cylinder however needs to be replaced that Rusty Rod is going to be just like sandpaper on your seals

Must be a real POS jack to rust like that...
Find a good quality jack to replace yours.
You can smooth the rust off of that one with some emery cloth and it may still work for a bit.Bur the fact remains the jack is a POS

What do I do with that?
Haul it to the dump. That cylinder rod is junk, and if you can ever get it to retract again it'll tear up the seals in the cylinder, making it leak like crazy. Or you could take of that cylinder and find a replacement jack.

If rod is rust pitted, it's toast. Like others have said, rust will tear up the rod seal in the end cap of the cylinder. But it's not clear from that photo if this is merely surface discoloration or actual deep rust that can't be just wiped off with some oil and #000 synthetic wool.

Trouble is, a new cylinder might cost you more than that rig is worth to you. Common Ø4" x 24" cylinders used on log splitters are cheap, due to sheer sales volume, but anything less common can cost a good deal more.

Hah... hadn't even looked that close. Was assuming a hydraulic cylinder with fittings on both ends.

Sorry for the late update. The thing is fixed now. But not the way I have expected. I think Alcheimer is catching up with me.
When I was figuring out how to free the cylinder and see if it was any good, I noticed the safety pin that was holding the lift from going down when in use. I was relieved and embarrassed at the same time.

If that is like my motorcycle jack, you raise it until you can set the mechanical stop (pin). then lower the jack to pressure of it. Prevents the hydro leek off and jack seal damage.