This Is A Question For The Professional Installers Among Us

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RomanW

Hey,

So I decided to open up my chimney chase to see how they constructed the chimney supports and what kind of clearance I have within there for the new Class A going in. I've been in touch with an installer and they are hopefully going to come out and take a look at it. That aside, once I opened up the chase I found out that the insides of the walls are covered in flies. Cluster flies. It's absolutely disgusting.
For those who do professional install, or inspections, is this something that you would turn down doing if you found it in a house? Or something you would have the homeowner take care of before you go in and do your thing?

Trying to prepare myself before I potentially get turned down and have to figure out how to get this thing in myself with a colony of flies in my chase...

I am not sure why anyone would turn it down because of flies

Reactions: RomanW
I'd clean it the best I could, wrap a damp towel on a stick and start the process, I just like things clean personally and it would bother me if I left it like that.
As far as dirty work, I've seen some horrible places doing basement oil boiler replacements, furnaces and attic ac installs, never not worked a job due to dirty, if anything it was less stressful working in a mess (other then the stink) because usually the owners dont care and you dont have to worry about drop clothes moving, something spilling and staining, or anything like that, not to say we didnt leave the place in better shape then before we started work either.
@bholler will prob agree to that.

Reactions: RomanW and bholler