1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

This is what happens...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by bluedogz, Dec 8, 2011.

1. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Not knowing my dog species . . . is that the dog with that fantatic looking expression on his face? If so . . . I too love that dog . . . he always looks like he is thinking, "Really? Do you really need to take my picture again?"

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    They're little bulldogs with big round ears
  3. tickbitty

tickbitty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    VA
    LOL. One of ours lays on the couch as close as he can get, all day, IF the stove is going. If it's not, he goes to the master bedroom, digs the covers till it's unmade, and snuggles in between our pillows and the quilts (the down one especially) and he is really digging the new memory foam mattress pad we got to tide us over till we can afford a new mattress. No matter how I try covering it with a dog blanket or making it up, he can figure out how to get to the pillows.
  4. TTS22

TTS22 New Member

Loc:
    Manitoba

They are one of the most comical looking dogs for sure. A lot of fun to have around. I live on 5 acres and they love being out and about as well as getting as close to the wood stove as possible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    How could you not love a face like that? I have hunting buddies that tease me about my 2 shih tzus. I get a hearty laugh out of them every day. No matter what stress you have- when they greet you at the door with their butts wiggling, acting like you've been at war- life is a bit better.
  6. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.

I want one of those buggerz.... :) I never had a dog....I am about ready to let my parrot fly away....mating season is ohhh not such a nice thang here.... >:-( The damn thing screams bloody murder if he can not see me....lil bahstard...every freakin Christmas the same thing....Mr Gamma calls him Satan.... :lol: Time for a doggie to straighten that lil mother out...
  7. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Gamma my 200 gram parrot chases the "big mean black dog" off his bone. Attitude is everything.
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

I heard that parrots and cats don't mix--but DS and DD and I all love African Grays, and would dearly like to have one in our household. How do you make that work out?
  9. Mrs. Krabappel

Mrs. Krabappel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Blue Ridge Mountains NC
    Yeah, life with parrots can be treacherous for cats! But seriously, it can work. My house/yard is a delicate balance of predator and prey species, but everyone has clear expectations so it all works out. My cats won't even bother my spring chicks, though they would LOVE to. Just a few simple training techniques.

I have a gray to send you.
  10. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Damned terriers ... to smart for their own good.

Smooth haired fox terrier here. AKA "Murphy Osama" ;-P
  11. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Snow. I hear ya.

It'll be 3 years ago this coming Saturday that we put Erin's gelding (Shogun Jack, miss ya, and love ya buddy) down @ 29, after 3 months of vet visits, diet changes, etc. It was a Tuesday morning when he stopped eating entirely, it was a Thursday afternoon when he went over the bridge.

I thought I was smart, and had pre thunk a plan, in this worse case scenario, and in the end that plan made it better. Atleast I was on "auto pilot" for the hard decisions. I knew what we had to do. Doesn't make the decision any easier, but makes the healing start faster.

I'm with ya on this one, GF.
  12. snowleopard

I had a GSD back when I was raising turkeys (bronzes). She wanted so badly to eat them, and they imprinted on her. She'd walk out on the porch and they would see her, and come running, yelling, "Mommymommymommy!!!" and she would drop her head, lift her lip, and groan. She'd go lay down on the lawn and they would gather around her and harvest the mosquitoes trying to feed off her nose and murmur to her in pure turkey bliss.

Imagine her joy.

She ended up spending a lot of summer inside, avoiding the turkeys.

I had a mare then, a palomino, and she had a filly. When I would go out for a ride, the filly would follow her mom, and the dog would follow the filly, and yes, the turkeys would follow the dog. It was like having a car full of siblings, some of whom adored others who were trying to pretend that they were not related to these people, did not know them, and just ended up in the car with them by random coincidence.

You can't buy times like that . . .

Funny, I just woke up from a dream this morning in which I picked out a building site nestled in some cliffs, built a nice house there (took about two seconds), and added a greenhouse/aviary cliffside. My son walked into the aviary and had a few parrots land on him with hummingbirds flying around.
  13. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    No you cannot. When I work Dixie, and Matisse is in the paddock, and mimics Dixie's controlled actions, I really wonder.
  14. snowleopard

If she is being mocked or teased? Ask Dixie. She will tell you.

I once helped out a friend who had a 4-H group come into her barn with a riding ring to critique some horses as an exercise/assignment. We rode in the ring, then lined up at a rail and the 4-H kids made their comments. When the Arabian mare I was riding was criticized (unfairly, I thought), she extended her neck towards the kid doing that in-line neck-head thing, shook her head hard, and brayed loudly and repeatedly in what sounded to me like indignation. I never before or since heard her make a noise like that.

Wonder indeed.