1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

This troubles me....memory loss...

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by webbie, Mar 20, 2012.

1. fossil

fossil Accidental Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Bend, OR
    It was BrotherBart who once said, "Getting old was a blast...it's being old that sucks."
    Jack Straw likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I have several years before I officially get "old". I sure hope that I am out of my current occupation. I couldn't even imagine how I would begin to document the multitudes of things I do (and have to remember). I swear that my head is so full right now that if I learn something new, something old has to go.;lol
  3. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    I always say "I don't want to take up valuable space in the memory bank dammit..There is too much chit in there the way it is!";lol
    I am turning 43 on Saturday...WTF? Stop the bus I wanna git off....where did all the years go...that's what I wanna know..:mad:
    I try to "purge" all the negative chit every two weeks....(usually when I am mad at somebody I let it go after 2 weeks)....I know 2 weeks is long..can't help it...I tend to hold a "grudge for that period of time"...:confused:But that is only is if is something really really bad...not petty nonsense...I let that chit "Poof" disappear quick.
  4. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA

2 weeks?;lol That's nothing.When I was younger & less "mellow" I'd hold a grudge for 6 months or longer.
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Craig, I used to be the same. Just kept it all in my head. I used to play a lot of chess, for example, and never had to write down the moves (except in tournaments) but could show games I played weeks before very easily. Also did some route work and could recall what folks bought a month previous. No problem. But I tend to disagree a bit with the graph as I think my memory or recall was at its peak in my early 30's. Then it started sliding a bit. But after I turned 50 it really took a nose dive. If it keeps up, by the time I'm 80 (not that long!) I won't even remember who I am.
  6. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    But you will remember dry wood is best! ;)
  7. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I also remember green wood and that forces me to remember to dry the wood!
  8. n3pro

n3pro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Enola, PA (near Harrisburg the unknown Capitol.
    Since I'm 33, I guess I CAN use the "it's just old age" excuse.
  9. greg13

greg13 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    CNY

Damn kids!!!!
    n3pro likes this.
  10. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

yea,Ccraig, and I humbly suggest you make that Carbonite and Mozy data more interesting.....I am bored watching your videos of tress growing.......Im so desperate for something new that I am actually looking FORWARD to seeing Delta-T on Jeopardy!
  11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

I now use terrabyte external drives as backup.....learned the hard way when my hard drive crashed and I lost all the pics of my eldest daughters' high school graduation.....these things are cheap, and you can back up right to them.....as Craig does, I every once and awhile unplug the drive and put it in my safe deposit box at the bank (with my coin collection).....when I do this I take the other drive out of the box and use it for a time.....hey, works for me.....I still dont trust Carbonite or Mozy....always worried they'll go belly up and I lose my chit......or some gummint agency has access....!:eek:
  12. MishMouse

MishMouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Verndale, MN
    Now what was this thread about?

Oh, memory.
    One thing good about a short memory is everyday is a new experience.
    I have a mind like a steel trap, only problem is the information going in is in liquid form.
  13. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I agree. No hard drive will ever replace the boxes of prints. Who's gonna dig through my hard drive for pics 50 years from now?
    Thistle likes this.