Today's Haul

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Scrounged up a nice little load of white oak and post oak today. 4bf677f1b9c93488a4d621a5cc5bc936.jpg569eddafd490def06e27ae80ef2cbf92.jpg

Oak is like money in the bank. Nice score

Forget the wood.. I'm jealous of the weather you seem to be having. :)
No doubt! It got up to 66 degrees today. The Crappie will be biting next month! For now I'm gonna use the nice weather to get ahead! This time of the year in MS it could be 66 today and we could have 10 inches of snow on the ground in a few days. You just never know. What's the weather like in Syracuse?

Last edited:
;em Im jealous! Nice weather and nice wood.......::-)

Yeah, you should be fishing!
Ooooohhhh to be on a lake or in the river right now! I enjoy the wood burning thing..........especially in winter, but there is nothing like river smallies. Now's the time to be getting a hard though. Nice score again.

Ooooohhhh to be on a lake or in the river right now! I enjoy the wood burning thing..........especially in winter, but there is nothing like river smallies. Now's the time to be getting a hard though. Nice score again.

Yep, March and April I'll be going after the crappie. May-July I'll be hand fishing for cats. In between ill be hitting up the smallies and stripes on the TN River. I work at one of the best crappie lakes in the country, so I'll be Using a good bit of leave the next couple of months! In the mean time though the chainsaw is a calling!

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Nice haul, I can't wait for that weather. We're the same here it was 5 degrees yesterday morning going to 50 plus today. Just never know what your going to get.

No doubt! It got up to 66 degrees today. The Crappie will be biting next month! For now I'm gonna use the nice weather to get ahead! This time of the year in MS it could be 66 today and we could have 10 inches of snow on the ground in a few days. You just never know. What's the weather like in Syracuse?
6F last night. Foot of snow.
20 mins North of me, they have waist deep snow.

Mid Feb is when I start getting jumpy from being inside. But this winter has been mild in comparison to the last 2 years.

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Three truck loads of black locust two yesterday one this morning. Cleaning up behind the road dept.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 143
Good job, good wood.

bob

I love burning black locust. Great wood. Looks like that stuff might be ready next season... Great score..

Reactions: St. Coemgen
Last edited:
I love burning black locust. Great wood. Looks like that stuff might be ready next season... Great score..

Black locust burns like anthracite. A great heating wood. And also save the bark that scoffs off during drying and use it for your landscaping mulch (for non-edible plants). The flavones in the bark are toxic, and keeps down weeds.

Reactions: TheBigIron
I love how hot locust burns. Coals up very nice to, been the only wood I've been getting the last two years. That stuff for 17/18, or 18/19 probably would be good for next year but already couple years ahead. Other reason I love locust the stuff lasts forever, been burning stuff three to four years old this year.

Reactions: St. Coemgen
IOther reason I love locust the stuff lasts forever, been burning stuff three to four years old this year.

Yep. And that is also why it makes for great fence posts. The flavones in the wood protect the wood from rot in the ground. I use black locust for all our vineyard cordon posts exactly, and specifically, for this reason. The posts last for decades in the soil. :)

The last load had a few pieces that were older kinda sitting on the ground older but still very solid and hard. Great thing about locust takes forever to rot.

First off, good score.

But, otherwise, that load of wood would probably only do me for about two or three weeks.....
Thanks, luckily I cut this much almost every week and I live in Northern MS. We have mild winters compared to a lot of places.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.