Today's Scrounge--post the free btu's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Picked all this up from a local furniture builder, wood box is stuffed with those large pellets. Some of it has some paint markings but don't think it will be an issue

Attachments

• IMG_20170216_161049.jpg
    IMG_20170216_161049.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 222
  • IMG_20170216_161040.jpg
    IMG_20170216_161040.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 231
Still bringing it home (daily for a week) and straight to the splitter and axe.
Got the driveway mess knocked out too. The 4X8 pallets aren't shrinking the
way they should. The wife sez it's because I keep bringing home stock---DUH!!
Of course it is. lol The left 6 sections of the wood wall are all red, ash, and maple
for the hardcore cold next season. The redneck woodshed is 7/8 stocked now with
90% red, and some ash. That thing holds at least 1 C. The rest of the wall is getting
very full now too with all common species but mainly the good harder woods.
Good scavenging and progress as of late with the good weather and my shoulder healed.

BTW, very nice scores in the last group of posts !! Nice work, gents. (tipping hat in respect)

Randy and Wood 024.JPGRandy and Wood 024.JPG Randy and Wood 013.JPG
Randy and Wood 019.JPG stars splits 006.JPGstars splits 008.JPG

The bottom row is a 21 incher, still a bit wet as you can see around the splitter wedge stopped at 1/2", and the pile one round made !

with the nice weather, and a weekend without plans, i have finally gotten around to clearing up some of my scrounges....

This was about half way. I haven't finished it yet, maple floors, walnut rafters, aspen insides, elm second floor*, with a cedar roof*
20170219_075950.jpg

*proposed
and the pile by the splitter was nap time yesterday :) a mix: 1/2cord elm, 1/4 cord cedar, and 1/4 cord honey locust.
20170219_145543.jpg

with the nice weather, and a weekend without plans, i have finally gotten around to clearing up some of my scrounges....

This was about half way. I haven't finished it yet, maple floors, walnut rafters, aspen insides, elm second floor*, with a cedar roof*
View attachment 194968
*proposed
and the pile by the splitter was nap time yesterday :) a mix: 1/2cord elm, 1/4 cord cedar, and 1/4 cord honey locust.View attachment 194969
I see a DHT 22 ton in there... good choice

Reactions: Dobish
Load of hedge with a few pieces of ash buried in there too. Unfortunately the rain has begun after our week of dry weather which will render this field too muddy until another dry stretch or a deep freeze (which seems even more unlikely). Oh well, gotta couple more places I can maybe get to in the interim, but farther away.
IMG_20170223_184042567.jpg

Load of hedge with a few pieces of ash buried in there too. Unfortunately the rain has begun after our week of dry weather which will render this field too muddy until another dry stretch or a deep freeze (which seems even more unlikely). Oh well, gotta couple more places I can maybe get to in the interim, but farther away.
View attachment 195184
How'd you get my truck?

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
How'd you get my truck?
Great minds think alike! hahaha I love this truck. I added new shocks with spring assist and really like the added stiffness, as well as the extra inch of lift they gave. I'm thinking about adding another spring this year to make it a true 3/4ton. Maybe....it needs u-joints and bearings checked and a tune-up at least before anything else. She's a beast though......I've had well over a ton in it numerous times. I pray a lot on the way home. :)

Great minds think alike! hahaha I love this truck. I added new shocks with spring assist and really like the added stiffness, as well as the extra inch of lift they gave. I'm thinking about adding another spring this year to make it a true 3/4ton. Maybe....it needs u-joints and bearings checked and a tune-up at least before anything else. She's a beast though......I've had well over a ton in it numerous times. I pray a lot on the way home. :)
i just had ole' rusty in the shop. replaced all the lines on the front... cost me 4 times what i paid for the truck!

i asked them about the suspension, and they said that it still looked good. They said...... "leaf springs aren't cracked.... you're good to go"...

i just had ole' rusty in the shop. replaced all the lines on the front... cost me 4 times what i paid for the truck!

i asked them about the suspension, and they said that it still looked good. They said...... "leaf springs aren't cracked.... you're good to go"...
Yep they are tough trucks. They do rust. I just spray FluidFilm on areas when I can or when cavities open up I coat the inside with rubber undercoat. Seems like every other year I have to replace a brake line or an oil cooler line, but that frame and 5.7 V8 can't be beat. Yeah I don't necessarily need the extra spring, but would just like it so it doesn't bottom out as quick. What year is yours? I have a 96'.

mine's a 94 with 196K, and was a midwest truck until a few years ago. I figure it will just rust away one day and I will be forced to get rid of it...

I had a '99 Z71, lasted forever, had over 350k very very hard miles on it before it finally gave up last year and said enough. Cost of repairs was more than the truck was worth and rust was starting on the bottom sides of the bed and below the rear door. My 06 doesn't even come close in comparison and I'm constantly making small repairs, just seems wimpy as hell after all the years in the 99. :(

My tree friend left me a large load of wood at our family beach house on the CT shore. It's 57 miles one way. I took the day off from work and went down there and brought back almost 1/2 cord in my truck. I'm guessing 3+cord. Mostly Black Birch, with allot of white oak also. This will take me through April to move and process. With this load I do not need to scrounge until spring 2018, this gets me 4 years ahead. Here's pics so it did happen. 1955d92c562470b8e1785dab171c540a.jpg0de1dab123b55ea202a9b491c4ab79e5.jpg5d70f7be070754792ee6a5110a5b88d5.jpg74e1a6031ccba21f2a57806110a5b74f.jpg

Wow, just wow on post # 218, Splitter !!

The tree crews have been bezerkin' during this warm spell and I'm hot on their tails scooping it up.
No pics last week or two but it's time to clear more of the flotsam from between the row of cedars
which have become the "wood wall" as shown in the avatar pic. I'm between 6 and 7 ft high and
120 ft and so far figgered that would be plenty. It has been thus far. Starting more sections. It's kinda
cool too that the fam likes the rustic look of the thing. Some is going to be kept just for asthetics. LOL
It hides the junk car behind it, and a few other redneck yard objects from view of the house and road.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Wow, just wow on post # 218, Splitter !!

The tree crews have been bezerkin' during this warm spell and I'm hot on their tails scooping it up.
No pics last week or two but it's time to clear more of the flotsam from between the row of cedars
which have become the "wood wall" as shown in the avatar pic. I'm between 6 and 7 ft high and
120 ft and so far figgered that would be plenty. It has been thus far. Starting more sections. It's kinda
cool too that the fam likes the rustic look of the thing. Some is going to be kept just for asthetics. LOL
It hides the junk car behind it, and a few other redneck yard objects from view of the house and road.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Thanks cheap
This has been alot of work. This one wood shed hold 6.3 cords of wood when full. I am taking great pride in, that all of this wood is free not to mention the other 2 wood sheds that are stocked. My 2 kids and i will have lots of memories. Cutting halling splitting stacking, then hitting the hot tub and eatting cheeses burgers, and ribs
20170219_084631.jpg
20170219_091349.jpg

Thanks cheap
This has been alot of work. This one wood shed hold 6.3 cords of wood when full. I am taking great pride in, that all of this wood is free not to mention the other 2 wood sheds that are stocked. My 2 kids and i will have lots of memories. Cutting halling splitting stacking, then hitting the hot tub and eatting cheeses burgers, and ribs View attachment 195456 View attachment 195457
Love the pose in pic #1!! :)

Scrounging literally ground to a halt necessitating riding the KLR to work a few daze.
wheel bearing 010.JPGwheel bearing 005.JPG wheel bearing 011.JPG
That's my front wheel bearing. Luckily the retainer clip let go about a mile from home. Made it back to
Cheap Acres and it locked up while backing into place to get worked on. Scary thing is that Dodge wanted
$287 for the bearing alone plus 1.2 hrs labor totalling $408. Detroit axle.com had one fer $30.88. The socket
I needed was 5 bux at the pawn shoppe. Took 1/2 hr having never changed one before including a sandwich
break. I dunno where they got their labor hrs from but one nut holds it on and it took longer to drop the wheel
and remove the caliper than the actual repair. Drives fine now, and luckily with brake pads, stops too.
Celebrated by bringing home a load of EAB.
Scooter KLR 018.JPG
That's the year 'round backup transpo.
Back to our free wood thread. LOL

Scrounging literally ground to a halt necessitating riding the KLR to work a few daze.
View attachment 195544View attachment 195547 View attachment 195543
That's my front wheel bearing. Luckily the retainer clip let go about a mile from home. Made it back to
Cheap Acres and it locked up while backing into place to get worked on. Scary thing is that Dodge wanted
$287 for the bearing alone plus 1.2 hrs labor totalling $408. Detroit axle.com had one fer $30.88. The socket
I needed was 5 bux at the pawn shoppe. Took 1/2 hr having never changed one before including a sandwich
break. I dunno where they got their labor hrs from but one nut holds it on and it took longer to drop the wheel
and remove the caliper than the actual repair. Drives fine now, and luckily with brake pads, stops too.
Celebrated by bringing home a load of EAB.
View attachment 195548
That's the year 'round backup transpo.
Back to our free wood thread. LOL
I get my hubs from amazon, local mechanic wanted $600 to change out both fronts, I spent 55 bucks on amazon and took about 1.5 hours to change them. Autozone loans tools so I got the socket from them for the nut.