Tricky chimney - best way to clean it

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NYCaver

Nov 21, 2011
United States
So we've gone through one season so far at our new house and the stove that came with it. Last season I was able to keep the chimney well-enough clean with flexible rods and a brush. I had to go on the roof once, and that sucked because it's very steep and metal. Anyway, the way I've been doing it is just not cutting it anymore. The chimney is approx 30' tall, interior to the house, masonry with a clay liner and I typically clean it from the basement cleanout. The real problem is that the clay liner goes from 6" round at the bottom to square right before it gets to the wall thimble and continues up this way. This means that a round brush really can't do what I need it to from the bottom, but the roof option is out.

Will a sooteater solve my problems? Will it adapt to the different flue shapes and work for a tall chimney like this? After researching I really can't seem to find another solution but figure I may be overlooking something.

It sounds like your flue is completely clay tile with no SS flex liner inside of it, correct? You say in your post, "The real problem is that the clay liner goes from 6" round at the bottom to square right before it gets to the wall thimble and continues up this way." I'm don't understand what this means. How is your stove connected to the clay thimble? Are you using 6" round single wall stove pipe? I've never heard of a clay tile flue starting out round and then switching to square or rectangular as you describe. What size are the square tiles? If you clear this up you might get some suggestions. Good Luck.

soot eater should work but you need to have it checked out by a pro to see how that transition was done I think it is probably time to think about a liner but get it checked out

Status
Not open for further replies.