tuliviki continued....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow!
So your garage is right under the second level..that doesn't help.

and it's a drive thru with doors in the front and back. We keep the doors closed and do not park cars in it. I always thought that was a stupid design. When the doors are open, the stove has no chance of heating the house.

poconosms1 said:
and it's a drive thru with doors in the front and back. We keep the doors closed and do not park cars in it. I always thought that was a stupid design. When the doors are open, the stove has no chance of heating the house.
Probably a good spot to store seasoned wood in though.
It is a neat layout though..but more for a much warmer climate.

Is the ceiling of garage insulated? If not, do so. The tuliviki is located awfully to heat the house. I'd sell it...what price can you get? And put a stove near where you wrote 17' in kitchen. Depends on what you want..willing to have stove in less convenient location for primarily wood heat?

cieling is 2x12 and heavily insulated. The drive thru use to be wide open. I should be able to get 5,000 since a new extended version would be 10k+ depending that the buyer knows masonary work.

That's quite a house! Two options jump out at me now that I see it. #1, Stud out and insulate the garage doors and use the garage as a plenum venting out one of the new walls. #2, hydronic radiant floor or, better yet, ceiling on level 3. The ceiling will radiate down and warm the whole house if the angles pictured are at all accurate. Heat could be supplied to this loop by many different means; solar collectors, gasification boiler etc., but a small wall hung flash heater such as a Takagi junior might be best for your situation.

Ehouse

Is that ceiling fan pushing down or pulling up?

pulling up. We reverse for summer and winter.

I've thought about closing in the middle garage, but both the front and back entrances have 8-10 decks over them. Can I vent through the wall with them above or will I have to run a stack all the way to 2ft above the roof?

Status
Not open for further replies.