Two pellet stoves..same floor?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

POTSTIRRER

Feb 16, 2014
Conneautville, PA
I have a us stove 6039 that i use and I have a whitfield advantage II i just purchased which is in storage. I have a pretty big house and the heat from the 6039 doesn't quite get to the back of the house(bedroom). I wanna hook up other stove in living room next year. Is it safe to do that? The 6039 is not OAK'd. Does one HAVE to be? Or should both be? Thanks.

Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
I would OAK both stoves. They seem to burn better with a dedicated air source. With two stoves, they will be competing for air (along with other appliances like the dryer, bathroom and kitchen fans) and you could develop a negative pressure situation. The air make-up has to come from somewhere and it will find any weak point to pull cold air in from the outside - making your house feel drafty. Besides, why are you throwing pre-warmed air outside?

According to the 6039 manual:

"For installations with horizontal through-the-wall exhaust, it is strongly recommended that the stove combustion air be
connected to the outside. If the home is newer or has been tightly insulated it is required to install outside combustion
air.:

My ESW pellet puppy burns a whole lot better with the OAK.

You may want to put the Whit in the area most used. A nice stove with less issues too. Good luck

Reactions: POTSTIRRER
According to the 6039 manual:

"For installations with horizontal through-the-wall exhaust, it is strongly recommended that the stove combustion air be
connected to the outside. If the home is newer or has been tightly insulated it is required to install outside combustion
air.:

My ESW pellet puppy burns a whole lot better with the OAK.

Yea...I thought I could get away with it with an older house...but after reading "to oak or not to oak, I'm gonna do it this summer...

If you haven't had outside air into your stoves before you'll want to block them off in the off season to prevent corrosion from forming inside the stove. The exhaust also. It provides a loop to humid outside air.

Reactions: POTSTIRRER
We have a Whitfield Advantage II T, a Whitfield Prodigy II and a Quadrafire 1000 all on one floor of a 2300 ft ranch style home.

We don't have an oak on any of them and all works fine.

We use the stoves as we need them, based on the outside temp.
The Little Whit is fine during moderate weather, and then when it gets into the 40's we shut it off and fire the big Whit. Once the temps dip into the lower 30's F we fire the little Whit and run them in tandem.

If it gets COLD we let the Quad cycle on the stat to take up any slack.

I don't run the Whits above the low setting, as the Hazelnut shells we feed them builds too big a fire, and I am convinced that the thermal stress on the stoves on a higher setting is harder on the stoves heat tubes and the longevity of the equipment.

The shells have a lot more BTU than most pellets, so this is why we use more stoves, plus if one decides to die at a very unhandy time (when its COLD) there is heat in the house.

When and if we have to, the Quad will heat the entire house, but it's hungry when heating this much area.

A stove in every corner is my MOTO ;)

With 3 in here now, I would love to add one that runs on a dedicated 12v system that would heat even in a power outage.

Buying good used Whitfields on a 90F +++ day at a garage sale can be a very inexpensive venture.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.