two stoves -- one pipe & chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

allene

Hearth Supporter
Mar 27, 2009
Ohio
I'm new to woodstoves, does anyone know if this is a workable idea? I'd like to use one chimney for 2 stoves. One small stove (Morso 1410) will be in the basement, with the pipe going up thru the first floor, second floor and the roof to the chimney. I was thinking about connecting another small stove on the first floor, right above the fbasement stove, to the same pipe run by using a T-connector pipe thru the back of the stove? I’d be using one sove at a time (or maybe both?).
Appreciate any ideas/thoughts. Since I just put a ton of blood, sweat and tears into my cabin, I dont' want it to go up in flames :)

Welcome. Sorry, but no, you mustn't do that. Each appliance needs its own complete and separate flue system. The reason for that is the very real risk that toxic flue gases from an operating appliance will find their way into the living space through the non-operating appliance. Two stoves = two flue structures. Rick

Edit to add: It's not so much that you'll go up in flames, but rather that you might go down in an invisible blanket of Carbon Monoxide.

Since you appear very knowledgeable, I'd like to ask another question. My stove is in the basement, with the pipe going up thru 1st floor, secind floor and the attic. Of course, I'm going to use proper insulated pipes going up thru the floors/ceilings, but I was going to use a single-wall pipe on the runs between floor and ceilings on the 1st fllor and 2nd floor with the idea that the hot pipe will warm up the first floor and the second floor. Do you think this will work? Or are there good reasons why I should use insulated pipe all the ay up thru every level? Where can I find info on proper pipe design?
Thanks,
Allen

The stove itself is the heating appliance. The stovepipe (also referred to as connector pipe) is the beginning of the flue system. It runs from the flue collar on the appliance up to the first structure penetration (wall or ceiling), at which point a proper transition is made to Class A chimney pipe. The stovepipe can be single-wall or double-wall, which typically depends on the clearance from combustibles you're trying to meet. The Class A chimney pipe is most typically double-wall insulated, the inner pipe being stainless steel. In any case, the flue structure really shouldn't be considered a part of your heating appliance. It's important that the flue gas stream, after it has left the appliance, not be allowed to decrease in temperature too rapidly, because that's a big contributor to the condensation of creosote in the system. Yes, in a "perfect" world, you'd want to extract every btu of heat out of the fuel and deliver it to the living space...but in the real world, you have to let some heat escape out the stack to daylight in order to sustain the health of the flue and thus the safety of your structure and of those in it. In your case, I'd plan to use single-wall or double-wall (depending on clearance requirements) up to the penetration of the first floor, and then Class A from there on up to daylight, probably enclosed within insulated chases on the first and second floors to keep the chimney secure. There are a whole lot of references for stove and flue installation available on this site...do a search. The manufacturers of stovepipe and chimney pipe have great info on their websites...look at Simpson and Selkirk just to get you started. Rick

allene said:
Since you appear very knowledgeable, I'd like to ask another question. My stove is in the basement, with the pipe going up thru 1st floor, secind floor and the attic. Of course, I'm going to use proper insulated pipes going up thru the floors/ceilings, but I was going to use a single-wall pipe on the runs between floor and ceilings on the 1st fllor and 2nd floor with the idea that the hot pipe will warm up the first floor and the second floor. Do you think this will work? Or are there good reasons why I should use insulated pipe all the ay up thru every level? Where can I find info on proper pipe design?
Thanks,
Allen

Can't do that either. You can only use single-wall connector from the stove to the first ceiling penetration.
Everything from there up to the cap has to be Class A insulated chimney pipe.
Sorry. I know that's not what you want to hear, but them's the facts...

Thanks again for the info. What's the reason I can't use single-wall pipe above the first floor and second floor? A local fireplace guy told me the same thing, but he didn't know why, so I'm very curious.
Thanks,
Allen

National Codes

There is also no trasition piece to go from Class A back to single wall... because its not legal. Unless you just jam them together.

Fossil/moderator, I didn't see your explanation at first, that answered my question very well. Thank you.
Allen

fossil said:
There are a whole lot of references for stove and flue installation available on this site...do a search. Rick

Rick, how do I find that info on this website?
Thanks,
Allen

Status
Not open for further replies.