Uh Oh - Accidentally destroyed hearth extension base

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kramer

Dec 10, 2007
Seattle
We made the bad decision to remove the brick from our fireplace hearth extension and replace it with tile. When removing it, the concrete underneath was badly damaged and had to be removed. What was left was a gaping hole above our crawlspace (steel supports around perimeter only are still in place, just concrete base for the original brick is gone). In researching how to fix this, we realize we need to pour new concrete and cannot use plywood as a bottom base, but are uncertain how to do this over a crawlspace.

Any advise on how to support the recommended 4" of concrete? Can we put down something underneath it to support the concrete like durock? If we use wood posts to prop up the bottom until the concrete cures, when we remove the wood will it hold and be strong enough to support tile and bear weight? Ideas to make it strong? THANK YOU!

If you've got a good metal frame all the way around it you could put angle iron or T irons down spaced so you can put brick on that (that would be lighter than a bed of concrete) then all you would need is a thin layer of mortar and whatever you are going to top it off with (cultured stone, slate, tile, etc.). That's how I did mine and it worked out well.

Thanks for the ideas. We may have more questions when we get into it. It's great to have such a great forum for advise.

Is the crawl space a concrete rat slab or is it dirt?

If it is a slab you can use concrete blocks and then a cementous board, I wouldn't recommend this if it is just dirt.

The concrete can be poured over plywood, unless your local code forbids it. I'd go with the duraroc as a base, pour the concrete on top with metal lath or mesh for strength, top that with a layer of Micor, then another layer of Duraroc. Set the tiles on the Duraroc. Be sure to check what the insulation needs are for your stove, you can add ore Micor to make up the difference.

Yeah, some pics amd measurements would be helpfull.

Status
Not open for further replies.