UPDATE? Advice about looking at two VC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greenmtnman

Jan 3, 2008
Green Mtn's
Today I came home with one of the stoves as I will go back n pick up the other.
The 1st stove was a Defiant Encore. looks as in great shape needs a new CatC. also what ever the stuff is called near it. And new gaskets I'm sure.
The other stove is a Vigilant NC also looks in good shape.
So now I have 2 VC to work on and garrison in the shed all that needs is a cleaning/ paint and using a WESO as of now!

Another project that will keep me going.
Thanks for all that replied and for your advice.

There was no NC Encore 8 years ago. That doesn't sound right to me.

I'd go for the catalytic model any day of the week.

If it is a VC Non Cat then stay away from it; they are nothing but trouble; very complex to operate which spoils the fun of it.

The CAT version is easy to use and does a good job. You do have to maintain it and change the CAT every so many years, but that is a small price to pay for a good stove. Then, follow the info on the link Craig gave you.

If you don't have any experience working with wood stoves you probably don't know exactly what to look for. See if you can find someone to tag along that knows stoves. Craig gave you the link as will be a good primer. See if you can get any background of how much they were used and in what environment. Some stoves were put into weekend homes and seldom used except as decorative fireplaces, others used real hard and toasted to the max and past their useful life.

If you are not in a hurry, the Jack-in-the-box stoves from HD and Lowes will be discounted heavily later in March/April so maybe keep your eye out there. Ask if the stoves come with the flue liner, you may spend more for the pipe than you will for the used stove. Remember that you will probably need a building permit and inspection for the whole nine yards... so will it pass inspection? Is there any return policy if it won't pass inspection?

Status
Not open for further replies.