Update on my stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

94BULLITT

Jan 4, 2010
Virginia
Here is the link to my previous thread. https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/62709/

Last week the owner of the place where i bought the stove came out and put a new baffle board in and he checked the stove all over and he said everything was good. He looked at my wood and said it was fine. Then I built a fire to show him I knew how to operate the stove and he saw I new how to build a fire and the stove hit 600* in no time. He said as clean as the door was and the way the fire took off there was nothing wrong with the chimney but he did not have a draft meter with him. He said that the stove was performing fine. He said he would send their certified chimney sweep out to check the draft so he could give quadrafire a number. He said the stove was not working in this situation and he would call quadrafire and see what they would do about it and he said more than likely they would do nothing and at that time the store would offer a buy back price.

Monday the chimney sweep came out and he checked the draft and when he would check it would go up to .8 then it would settle to .6. The chimney sweep also said the stove was performing properly. He said the stove is designed to run with the draft closed, which I cannot do because the secondary will go out 99% of the time. The chimney sweep said I had a air circulation problem and that I need to run some ducts from the stove to the rooms in my house and put inline fans in them, but I bought a wood stove not a wood furnace. He said he used his central air to circulate the air in his house. He also said that the stove is designed to run with the blower which did not take me long to figure out after the first night of firing the thing and the house was 52* the next morning. I wish they would have told me when I went to buy it you have to have a blower to get heat off of it because I would have never bought it because I want something that will heat the house when the electricity is off. I have tried everything I can think off and gave this stove more than a fair chance and I am completely fed up with it.

I'm guessing the manometer readings were between .06 and .08.; .6 would indicated too high draft. The stove gets up to 600F in no time, so what is the problem? If the air control needs to be half-way open for the type of wood being burned that is not a big deal. Could this be a problem of unrealistic expectations?

As mentioned in the first thread, heating in an uninsulated basement will mean a 25-33% heat loss through the walls, right off the bat. Heating upstairs from the basement can be a real problem, especially if the staircase doorway is small and poorly located. Heating 3000 sq ft from an uninsulated basement is not very realistic. I'd take your dealer up on the offer to take back the stove. Ask about exchanging it for a Quadrafire Isle Royale and install this stove on the FIRST floor. You will be warm, even when the power goes out.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49708/

BeGreen said:
I'm guessing the manometer readings were between .06 and .08.; .6 would indicated too high draft. The stove gets up to 600F in no time, so what is the problem? If the air control needs to be half-way open for the type of wood being burned that is not a big deal. Could this be a problem of unrealistic expectations?

As mentioned in the first thread, heating in an uninsulated basement will mean a 25-33% heat loss through the walls, right off the bat. Heating upstairs from the basement can be a real problem, especially if the staircase doorway is small and poorly located. Heating 3000 sq ft from an uninsulated basement is not very realistic. I'd take your dealer up on the offer to take back the stove. Ask about exchanging it for a Quadrafire Isle Royale and install this stove on the FIRST floor. You will be warm, even when the power goes out.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/49708/
I thought that you wanted the chimney draft to be between .05-.07 and anything over .1 was too much. I wish I had a isle royal because I would get some radiant heat. The 5700 should heat the house because it is less than 3000 sqft. The dealer has not made a offer yet. It would be too much work to put a stove on the first floor of the house. The old earth stove would keep the house warm on cold windy nights no problem.

If you got it from Glover, tell them I will find them an old Earth Stove to trade with you. :coolgrin:

Probably a typo then?

when he would check it would go up to .8 then it would settle to .6.

To match the Earth Stove, maybe get something with similar capacity designed for an 8" flue like the Buck94 or Buck 91 (cat). But it will still eat a lot less wood. Or insulate the basement walls. That will give you the best of both worlds.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model94nc.html

BeGreen said:
Probably a typo then?

when he would check it would go up to .8 then it would settle to .6.

To match the Earth Stove, maybe get something with similar capacity designed for an 8" flue like the Buck94 or Buck 91 (cat). But it will still eat a lot less wood. Or insulate the basement walls. That will give you the best of both worlds.

http://www.buckstove.com/wood/model94nc.html
I like the hearthstone equinox but I have to see what happens with this quad. I would have bought the equinox if I had have known about them when I got the quad and if knew the quad was not a radiant heater and had to have a blower.

Status
Not open for further replies.