Update to Baffle board Mods on NC 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobUrban

Minister of Fire
Jul 24, 2010
Central Michigan
original thread:
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/nc-30-mods-thoughts.130528/

Well I am a "tinker" so I could not just leave it be. I ran the stove with the original plates - 2 of them - one 4" and the other like 14"

As B-Bart said, I had warpage. But only with the large plate leading me to believe it was due to uneven heating. So I pulled the large plate and cut it down to three 4" strips(roughly) so now I have 4 strips up there and this morning it was finally cool enough to give it another run. Not super surprising the set up seems to be working. I have it running at 500 on the stove top - not the 6-750 she will be running in a month or so but certainly hot enough to give me hope. All 4 plates are laying flat as a pancake on the tubes so I will continue to play with it as the shoulder season progresses and keep you all updated.

Note: with the large plate the warping was evident as soon as the stove hit around 100 and tapered off a little when it reached 500 but still was moving the baffles more than I wanted to see. Any movement was unacceptable actually. With this configuration there is NO movements at all.

Again, this is not at all necessary for the stove to perform and I remain super happy with the 30 after two seasons of heat. This is just an attempt at making "great" a little "better" by limiting the opportunity for an inadvertent "oops" when loading the stove.

Pics included of the updates.

Attachments

• updated  (1).JPG
    updated (1).JPG
    272.6 KB · Views: 97
  • updated  (2).JPG
    updated (2).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 98
Status
Not open for further replies.