Used 880 package

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
How much is it worth? Says it is a year old and lightly used.

Attachments

• 880-1.jpg
    880-1.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 345
  • 880-2.jpg
    880-2.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 340
1500.00 Range. What size bars? They can be worth big money too. Stihl large mount is what it takes.

I assume I would get rid of the 95 if I went this route? Or is it too big of a jump between the 371 and the 880?

SolarAndWood said:
I assume I would get rid of the 95 if I went this route? Or is it too big of a jump between the 371 and the 880?

Really a very easy saw to run, it strength is in the 41 inch bar and using all of it, otherwise 70-90 is a faster saw. Torque is what you get with the 880 milling for the most part and knocking out massive hardwoods (rare but you only need one) Your looking at 2000.00 new there.....Dealer will not budge much on one. (I got 5 percent)
With the smaller bar it will replace the 95.

I only use the 95 for the big stuff now anyway. It sounds like it is a reasonable replacement as opposed to addition? Thinking I should be able to get 6 or 7 for the 95 with 24 and 60 inch bars?

SolarAndWood said:
I only use the 95 for the big stuff now anyway. It sounds like it is a reasonable replacement as opposed to addition? Thinking I should be able to get 6 or 7 for the 95 with 24 and 60 inch bars?

I would sell the 60 inch on the side....Depending what all it fits could be 400.00 by its self. ;-)

lol, going to have to start calling you the pied piper. You have better rationalization skills than I do. Seems like this is the right move if I go the chainsaw mill route which is where I am leaning. Sounds like the 95 is going to be a bit small and the cheap bandsaw mills I have seen going by are pretty beat when you look at them.

SolarAndWood said:
lol, going to have to start calling you the pied piper. You have better rationalization skills than I do. Seems like this is the right move if I go the chainsaw mill route which is where I am leaning. Sounds like the 95 is going to be a bit small and the cheap bandsaw mills I have seen going by are pretty beat when you look at them.

lol, csm just perfect for scroungers put you in a whole new level and know one even 90 percent of the tree company can handle the monster. Puts you in the know and the slabs of there's monster have big value that a band mill or local mill cant handle. At that point your either drying wood or looking for the most valuable wood. I use to do lots of monster silver maples now I have nothing but hardwoods. (hickory oak locust hedge sugar maple) In the rack is lots of Black walnut slab and one nice bw log out back. Sell off slabs to get your money back, build something or if you just need money its there. (just dont sell in the summer)

SolarAndWood said:
How much is it worth? Says it is a year old and lightly used.

Looks like a nice saw Solar.

zap

I am pretty sure it will pay for itself milling Zap. But I tend to think long and hard before plinkin down that much cash unless it is an in my face good deal. We'll see.

SolarAndWood said:
I am pretty sure it will pay for itself milling Zap. But I tend to think long and hard before plinkin down that much cash unless it is an in my face good deal. We'll see.

I don't blame you for thinking long and hard, we took almost two years before we decided on the Alaskan Chainsaw Mill.

zap

I dont think he can handle one! ;-) [youtube]http://youtu.be/6OGtwWMZjtk[/youtube]

Pink is in!

SolarAndWood said:

I bought the 261 and 660 and would hate to have to use the 660 all day. In fact, I have not had to fire up the 660 yet. The 660 is a lot heavier than the 261 and the 880 is even heavier than the 660, and I think by a couple of pounds. I only have a 25" bar on the 660. I cannot imagine using the 660 for 12" logs or limbing a tree. I can hardly imagine using it for 18" logs. Logs would have to get to around 24" before I break out the 660.

In summary, I think you need more than a single saw when you are running something like the 460, 660, and especially the 880. However, I am 5' 9" and 150 pounds. I am in shape and pretty strong for my size, but some of you big guys that are in shape might be able to handle these larger saws all day long. Me, I just want them for the really big stuff.

fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

I bought the 261 and 660 and would hate to have to use the 660 all day. In fact, I have not had to fire up the 660 yet. The 660 is a lot heavier than the 261 and the 880 is even heavier than the 660, and I think by a couple of pounds. I only have a 25" bar on the 660. I cannot imagine using the 660 for 12" logs or limbing a tree. I can hardly imagine using it for 18" logs. Logs would have to get to around 24" before I break out the 660.

In summary, I think you need more than a single saw when you are running something like the 460, 660, and especially the 880. However, I am 5' 9" and 150 pounds. I am in shape and pretty strong for my size, but some of you big guys that are in shape might be able to handle these larger saws all day long. Me, I just want them for the really big stuff.

This would be used for milling. My gf can run the 880 for hours...lol Your really not holding weight other than starting your next run.

smokinjay said:
fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

This would be used for milling. My gf can run the 880 for hours...lol Your really not holding weight other than starting your next run.

Yep, cutting is the easy part. Its all the stuff in between that sucks with a heavy saw.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

Yep, cutting is the easy part. Its all the stuff in between that sucks with a heavy saw.

Like sharpening 135 links...lol

smokinjay said:
fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

I didn't know the OP was talking about using the saw for milling. He mentioned getting rid of a 391, and replacing it with this. Didn't know he was using the 391 for milling. I could try milling with my 660, but I just don't think that is up my alley unless I really get into wood working and start making some furnitre. A lot of things have to happen before that will happen though (e.g., addition on the house with a 40x40 workshop, purchase of wood working equipment). I'll still have the 660, so that will always be an option down the road.

I am assuming that your gf runs the 880 on a mill and not actually bucking wood. My wife won't even touch my saws. Then again, I try to stay away from her pots and pans.

fabsroman said:
smokinjay said:
fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

I didn't know the OP was talking about using the saw for milling. He mentioned getting rid of a 391, and replacing it with this. Didn't know he was using the 391 for milling. I could try milling with my 660, but I just don't think that is up my alley unless I really get into wood working and start making some furnitre. A lot of things have to happen before that will happen though (e.g., addition on the house with a 40x40 workshop, purchase of wood working equipment). I'll still have the 660, so that will always be an option down the road.

I am assuming that your gf runs the 880 on a mill and not actually bucking wood. My wife won't even touch my saws. Then again, I try to stay away from her pots and pans.

She has done a little cross cutting with it as well..I start it and then she wants to run it. Very simple saw really. Same with milling once its started she will run the trigger and with help on the other side.

smokinjay said:
I dont think he can handle one!

Damn dude, now I know how Zap felt when someone was questioning the size of his wood...whats up with that?

fabsroman said:
SolarAndWood said:

the 95 is probably pretty similar to the 660 and I know what you mean. Great for bucking the big stuff but doesn't get used for anything else. 50cc for limbing, 71 for the majority of the work and the 95 for the big stuff. 120 replaces the 95 for the big stuff and is more optimal for milling.

fabsroman said:
My wife won't even touch my saws. Then again, I try to stay away from her pots and pans.

My wife looks hot in a set of chaps with the 71 in her hands. Doesn't last too long though. She does much better with the 50.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
I dont think he can handle one!

Damn dude, now I know how Zap felt when someone was questioning the size of his wood...whats up with that?

lol, j/k 880 is the easiest saw I have ever ran...If you look at the you tube its the gf running it with pink carharts... :lol:

smokinjay said:
If you look at the you tube its the gf running it with pink carharts... :lol:

You are a lucky man Jay, don't screw up.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
If you look at the you tube its the gf running it with pink carharts... :lol:

You are a lucky man Jay, don't screw up.

Be running in the A.M. MMAUL will more than likely be the trigger man. :ahhh:

Status
Not open for further replies.