1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Used Ashby-good started pellet stove?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by TriMom, Feb 27, 2013.

1. TriMom

TriMom New Member

Found used St. Croix Ashby from 2005 at what I think is a good price. Would you think it would be a good first pellet stove to start with? St. Croix reliability?

Anything special to look for in that year and model?

I did find a Harman Accentra insert but CL guy won't call me back so figure it sold and it is almost 3x the price of the Ashby.

We do have dealers and independent pellet repair folks in our area for most brands.

We have 3 fireplaces, and a wood burning stove. It would not heat our whole house but should help. The idea of two pellet stoves or inserts is what we are considering and buying used makes that more possible.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TriMom

TriMom New Member

Not sure if it is the P pellet only or the MF multi fuel version. Other than fuel, is the quality and issues similar?
  3. wwert

wwert Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern CT.
    You sure it is an Ashby? I think it is a York if it is 2005. No experience with the Ashby but it was introduced as a more efficient version of the York. I have owned 2 Yorks and both were excellent stoves. Parts are readily available.
  4. TriMom

TriMom New Member

The woman doesn't know model. I looked at her photos and compared to St. Croix website. You are likely right. Glad to hear stove worked well for you and parts are easy to come by.

My husband likes the idea that is a cheapish option to try out the pellet route.