1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Uses for ash (cooled)

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by SteveJ, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SteveJ

SteveJ Member

Loc:
    CO 9000ft
    I have been burning beetle kill pine for 3 months (about 5 cords) using a Seton W-130 gassifier and have generated about 40 gallons of ash - the very fine gray stuff).

I have been told that the ash can be used for fertilizer and have put some out and noticed another use - snow melting.

I threw ash onto about 80 sq ft of my yard which melted the snow. Since then the area has been snow free. Works better than salt!!

So, now how to not track it into the house???

What is everyone doing with their ash and about how much are you generating?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wdc1160

wdc1160 New Member

Loc:
    Lafayette IN -BoilerMakerCountry
    Interesting...

I did a quick google and got these possible uses
    For the world Ican't figure out how it peels vegtables, but hey... Its on the internet so it must be true.

Acid neutralization
    Alkaline batteries
    Catalysts
    Cleaning compounds
    Drilling muds
    Dyestuffs
    Fertilizers
    Food processing
    Fruit and vegetable peeling
    Gas purification
    Metal processing
    Oil refining
    Organic and inorganic chemicals
    Paper manufacturing
    Pesticides
    Pharmaceuticals
    pH adjustment
    Photographic chemicals
    Potassium carbonate and other potassium chemicals manufacturing
    Soap manufacturing
    Synthetic rubber
    Water treatment
  3. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    If spread around blue spruce I've seen as much as 2' of new growth a year on trees over 6'.
  4. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

I mixed some with clay soil - to improve drainage - for some potted vegetable. The one thing I noticed - actually, it was hard to ignore - was that none of the seeds germinated :coolmad:
  5. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    It 'can' work as fertilizer - high concentration of potassium - actually potash - but it also makes the pH go very high (alkaline). If you have acidic soil and/or alkaline loving plants it can be a good soil amendment. But if you have the opposite conditions, it may not be of much use.

Setting here in KS - basically an ancient sea bed, there is limestone everywhere - water comes out of the tap at about pH 8.3, so not a lot of use in spreading more alkaline fertilizer around.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.