Using double-wall stovepipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I'm looking to switch one or both of my stoves (Ashford 30 and 30.1) over to double-wall stovepipe. I've only ever worked with single wall, so I'm not clear on what adaptors are required at stove and liner, to go double-wall.

On both stoves, I'm using a 6" smoothwall flex blanket-wrapped liner with the following adaptor:

verticalapplianceconnector-lg.jpg

1. First stove, top vent with straight shot up to liner, I'm using a single telescoping single-wall section. Should switch to double-wall to improve draft on this very short chimney.

2. Second stove, need double wall due to CTC issue. Also top vent up to liner, but with a 9" jog, likely to be accomplished with a pair of 45-degree elbows.

You will use the appliance adaptor at the top of the double wall pipe, you will use a stove top adaptor on the stoves flue collar. You'll likely need to crimp the appliance adaptor.

Would you use something like this at the stove?
6-dvl-adapter-section-no-damper-6dvl-ad-fa7.jpg
That's the part! Although that's a dura-vent part, not sure he's using dura-vent. I prefer it, that's what I have on my Ashford. Their adaptor fits very nice, the Ameri-Vent/Super-Vent is very sloppy! I don't recommend it for a BK, it's so sloppy I am afraid of smoke leakage at the connection.

Would you use something like this at the stove?
6-dvl-adapter-section-no-damper-6dvl-ad-fa7.jpg
That's what I used too. Check the stove's collar welds for blobs of weld or anything else out of round that would interfere with a good mating of tapers. I had to grind out a big blob of weld.

Okay. So keep appliance adaptor I have, and buy that adaptor for stove? The appliance adapters are already tapered or crimped (can't remember which) to fit inside 6" pipe.

Was going to use Rockford Chimney, since I have some stuff to return for credit there, unless anyone has a reason I shouldn't. Not sure what brand they carry, but the single wall I've always bought from them is the nicest I've handled.

Status
Not open for further replies.