VC DW 2461 catalytic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tribe683

Nov 10, 2010
SW Indiana
Does anyone know what brand of cat a VC DW 2461 (large) would have came with originally. It is a steel cat and the stove was made approximately 2-3 years ago (2009 or 2010)? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Not sure, but I thought Applied Ceramics made the original combustors for Dutchwest. Are you sure the steel combustor in there is the original?
This is the one they show on their FireCat site, but I would double-check before ordering that one...I don't think they have the right size listed there. I think it takes a 6"X2".

Here's the ceramic one from Condar, with a link to the SteelCat:
http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/dutchwest_new.html

Not sure, but I thought Applied Ceramics made the original combustors for Dutchwest. Are you sure the steel combustor in there is the original?
This is the one they show on their FireCat site, but I would double-check before ordering that one...I don't think they have the right size listed there. I think it takes a 6"X2".

Here's the ceramic one from Condar, with a link to the SteelCat:
http://www.woodstovecombustors.com/dutchwest_new.html

I bought the stove brand new and it had a steel cat in it. You are right, it is a 6"X2". It is doing fine but figured I should have a replacement cat on hand just in case. I would just like to attempt to compare what came with it to the other brands that are out there.

Here is one
Not steel, but that is cheap! I wonder what the non-sale price is? It's only 1" thick but looks to have a similar warranty to other combustors. Have you tried one of those yet?

I found their contact information via a search. They are located in Albuquerque, NM.

Their phone number is (505) 237-9519. I called, but the line was busy.‎

I really need to find out if those are worth a damn. The pricing is great.
The old adage "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is" might apply here. ;hm I found these when I Google-searched "clear skies unlimited combustor."
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/catalytic-combustor.7800/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/woodheat/message/19008

Unfortunately I didn't check into them more at the outset. Their website looked fairly legit, complete with an official-looking award/seal...
142_CAE_Logo.jpg
WOW! :eek: So I ordered two of the 6" round combustors @ $49 each.

I got an order confirmation email but nothing happened for a couple weeks. I saw that they had applied the charge to my card and when I emailed them, they claimed they would ship in a couple days. Never saw a tracking # from them but a couple of weeks later I got one combustor. I emailed them back asking where my second combustor was...no reply yet, two weeks later. I looked around today for other ways to contact them. Phone number...no answer. "Customer Service" link..."Firefox can't find the server at snarf.buyitsellit.com."
Lesson learned; Due diligence is required, even in amongst the brotherhood of planet-saving, low-emmisions, alternative-energy type guys. :rolleyes: From those linked reviews, it sounds like having the second combustor would be no better than having nothing. I'm going to try to get some satisfaction a couple more times, but I'm not hopeful. Apparently I can't dispute payment on my charge card because it wasn't a local purchase, but I'll check into it further. I'll be looking for ways to "stuff more 'stuff' into their sack of woe," so suggestions are welcome. Contact their State attorney general? Various scam websites? Comment on their Facebook page?

On the plus side, the combustors are now only $39! ;lol

Well, that is unfortunate. Thanks for the heads up and the links to more info. Good luck, and I hope you get the credit card to reverse the charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.