VC Resolute Acclaim 2490

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jeffbriggs

Dec 7, 2018
Chester, Virginia
I'm looking at a used Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 2490 on craigslist for $100. Seller says all castings are in good shape but needs new gaskets, rear ceramic arch plates, and the refractory chamber. Seller has gaskets so I only need to buy the two parts. I have researched an know the gripes about the stove but at the price point and parts needing replaced is it worth looking at? Below is link to ad

https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/app/d/staunton-vermont-castings/6785577511.html

I'm looking at a used Vermont Castings Resolute Acclaim 2490 on craigslist for $100. Seller says all castings are in good shape but needs new gaskets, rear ceramic arch plates, and the refractory chamber. Seller has gaskets so I only need to buy the two parts. I have researched an know the gripes about the stove but at the price point and parts needing replaced is it worth looking at? Below is link to ad

https://charlottesville.craigslist.org/app/d/staunton-vermont-castings/6785577511.html
Personally I don't think it's worth it.

This wasn't VC's shining hour. The stove has a reputation for needing frequent, costly rebuilds of the refractory assembly.

Okay I figured as much. If the stove came down in price would it be worth it even as a evening/ weekend burner? Or are the repairs so frequent that it would be a big hindrance even for a part time stove

Or are the repairs so frequent that it would be a big hindrance even for a part time stove
That's really your call. It is certainly one of the best looking cast iron stoves on the market and when working properly and with adequate draft it can perform ok. It tends to get pretty hot in the rear and is pretty fussy about draft. So if this is going into a basement for an install I'd say no. But if it is going to have a first floor, straight-up chimney install of 16-20ft, then it may be ok for night and weekend burning. VC is now under new mgmt. and they are said to have improved the refractory replacement parts. How well is TBD.

Of course this is only if the stove doesn't not have other problems, which can be common. After the refractory breaks down people often burn these stove in limp mode or with the bypass open and push them harder for heat. That can warp bypass parts or worse. Caveat emptor.

Okay I figured as much. If the stove came down in price would it be worth it even as a evening/ weekend burner? Or are the repairs so frequent that it would be a big hindrance even for a part time stove
Personally i wouldnt take it for free.