VC Resoute Acclaim 2490 - looking for . . . Help!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hondochica

Oct 9, 2017
Divide, CO
Greetings

I recently acquired a Resolute Acclaim 2490 to install in a manu home - in place of the 'soon to be torn out' fireplace. I searched "RA"s here and found 18 pages! Sorry - but it would take me hours and hours to scroll through 18 pages of "I shouldn't have bought this stove!" ;-))

I have the stove half taken apart already: cleaning some rust out, installing all new gaskets, might need some stove cement in places. 1 rear brick is cracked; replaced right side brick. accidentally punched a small hole in the top of the combustion package - hope I don't have to replace it (thought it was just soot on some hard surface). I downloaded the manual - fyi - so I have some reference material.

My first Qs are:

1) should I purchase the Outside Air Kit for this stove; as I am in a manu home (not very well sealed) I would like to keep drafts to a minimum and maximize heat. As I will have to do some work on the floor for heat protection - best to install the OAK Before I lay the tile!

2) was reading somewhere about 'negative pressure', and 'stack effect' - have no idea what this means - could you provide me some links to minimize search/learn time

3) is it worth consulting w/ a local chimney/wood stove guy/gal? I'm hoping s/he can guide me through the install: assess whether I can use the existing chimney etc

4) my manual talks about a 'positive connection kit' when using an existing fireplace chimney - but I can't figure out if that is for a 'fireplace insert' or 'freestanding' stove. My intent is a free-standing stove that vents through the existing chimney - which looks like an 8" pipe (as seem from the roof). The entire fireplace will be gone and wall(s) reconfigured. What is a 'positive connection kit' - other than stove pipe?

Any other (supportive) musings/info is greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time!

Kelly
(needing cheap heat in the high rockies)

Greetings

I recently acquired a Resolute Acclaim 2490 to install in a manu home - in place of the 'soon to be torn out' fireplace. I searched "RA"s here and found 18 pages! Sorry - but it would take me hours and hours to scroll through 18 pages of "I shouldn't have bought this stove!" ;-))

I have the stove half taken apart already: cleaning some rust out, installing all new gaskets, might need some stove cement in places. 1 rear brick is cracked; replaced right side brick. accidentally punched a small hole in the top of the combustion package - hope I don't have to replace it (thought it was just soot on some hard surface). I downloaded the manual - fyi - so I have some reference material.

My first Qs are:

1) should I purchase the Outside Air Kit for this stove; as I am in a manu home (not very well sealed) I would like to keep drafts to a minimum and maximize heat. As I will have to do some work on the floor for heat protection - best to install the OAK Before I lay the tile!

Good idea to minimize drafts. Combustion air needs to enter the stove from SOMEWHERE.

2) was reading somewhere about 'negative pressure', and 'stack effect' - have no idea what this means - could you provide me some links to minimize search/learn time

http://www.woodheat.org/all-about-chimneys.html

3) is it worth consulting w/ a local chimney/wood stove guy/gal? I'm hoping s/he can guide me through the install: assess whether I can use the existing chimney etc

Yes. Get a professional opinion. You CANNOT use the existing venting for a wood stove. It is NOT rated for the higher temperatures.

4) my manual talks about a 'positive connection kit' when using an existing fireplace chimney - but I can't figure out if that is for a 'fireplace insert' or 'freestanding' stove. My intent is a free-standing stove that vents through the existing chimney - which looks like an 8" pipe (as seem from the roof). The entire fireplace will be gone and wall(s) reconfigured. What is a 'positive connection kit' - other than stove pipe?

Positive connection is STOVE (CONNECTOR) PIPE securely fastened (ie. screwed) to a Class A chimney pipe. You will need to install Class A chimney & then the connector from the stove to the chimney.

Any other (supportive) musings/info is greatly appreciated

Thanks for your time!

Kelly
(needing cheap heat in the high rockies)

Thanks for your reply Daksy - the link you provided has been very useful. Have appt's w/ 2 'installers' tomorrow
Appreciate your time and comments

Kelly

Reactions: DAKSY
@DAKSY . . (hope that works on this forum) - you said: "You CANNOT use the existing venting for a wood stove. It is NOT rated for the higher temperatures." Actually I want to run single wall 6" pipe through the existing 12" double wall fireplace metal flue/chimney pipe. My previous post may have led other readers to think I actually have a brick chimney (aka 'fireplace') - not the case. The building dept here thinks that should work - they don't have a problem w/ it, since the 6" will be 'insulated' by 12" OD double pipe. This assumes the 6" will fit - I haven't removed the old fireplace box yet.

I'd love to get "professional help" but I've called 6 companies and no replies - I imagine they are all booked - a couple other neighbors are looking as well. I'll keep looking but . . I'm on my own for now - with whatever help I can find here or on the web. I'm pretty handy - do alot of homework before I attempt something new.

Thanks again for your previous comment/reply. I'm still learning the jargon; your clarification of "positive connection = stove pipe" was helpful. don't know why the manual didn't just say "stove pipe"?? .

Kelly