Vent Clearance Problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

latitude45

Oct 4, 2009
petoskey, mi
www.flickr.com
Here is my situation.

I have an Quadra Fire Isle royal installed in-front of an old brick fireplace. The fireplace opening is currently 29 3/4" tall. The opening was originally 31" tall but I installed a pad underneath extending into my living room so that brought the opening up to 29 3/4. The wood stove is 30". The problem is when I installed the stove the vent buts right up against the top of the fireplace, the vent pipe dips down 1/2" from the back of the stove to tee then up the chimney liner.

The stove ran great all winter long except I would get some smoke in the house on occasion, could this be caused by the dip in the vent pipe? The chimney is about 14' tall..

I cant find any hearth legs for this stove, Quadra Fire no longer makes them.

How should I fix this problem?

Here are some option I thought of..
A. I could cut holes in my nice tile to make up the space. boo
B. Reduce the vent to 5" then back up to 6" at the tee.
C. Use an offset box..

Any thoughts?

You are right, smoke doesn't like to go downhill. With a marginal height flue I can see why you would get smoke spill on some days. I would opt for A. or, as a last resort, very carefully cutting an inch or two off of the legs. But first, maybe try emailing more Quad dealers to see if someone has some remaining hearth legs in stock?

Can you modify (grind) the current legs/feet? Take, say 1/2" off...?

EDIT:: ^^ what he said^^ lol.

I could grind/cut them off but it would look like hell. I'll attach a photo later to show what I mean..

Here is a photo of the porblem.. I don't have to bring the stove down but maybe 1/4in..

4712752946_7189602b74.jpg

From the original description is would appear that if the pipe dips down 1/2" from the stove to the tee, then it will take about a 3/4" lowering of the stove to improve the situation.

Looking at this from the other end, would increasing the flue height 2-3' be an option?

I've had customers that took the legs to a machine shop, got the legs trimmed for minimal $$ and it looked great

I contacted a few of the larger Quad shops in our area and online to see if they had any short legs left. No one did, but a couple did offer to shorten them.

Status
Not open for further replies.