Venting through angled wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchasal

Burning Hunk
Jul 10, 2008
Hudson Valley, NY
Hi all

I've finally got a stove on the way and have been struggling with how best to vent it. I really only have 1 place that's suitable to place the stove on my ground floor. That's in front of an exterior wall with a set of French glass doors, the left hand door is fixed. (not sure if that's actually a french door or something else, but you get the idea).

I've come up with 2 ways to vent this:
  1. Up and out over the fixed door. I can add some stack on the outside to get the necessary clearance, there are no windows above it. The disadvantage is a lot of pipe showing on the interior and blocking the glass.
  2. Over, out and up to the left of the fixed door. I can go about 2' left out of the stove, then through the wall and up on the exterior. This is preferable due to the less prominent interior pipe, but there's a wrinkle. Set into that corner is a built in "niche", the corner from the floor up about 5' is walled in to form a triangular shelf. Here's a top down drawing that, hopefully, explains the layout (the top of the drawing is outside):
    anglewall.png
Clearly, a standard wall thimble isn't going to work here. It seems that it's more like a reversed roof penetration, but that would end up with the cone flashing on the interior and that doesn't seem to make sense. Currently I'm thinking I can just build a box out of duct to maintain the clearance through the wall and cut the sleeve from the interior section of a standard thimble, or just use trim plates, but not sure the pipe will fit through that if it's at an angle.

I've also considered just ripping the whole niche out, but that will involve a lot of rework as there's no finish drywall or flooring behind it.

I thought it prudent to check with some more experienced folks here. Any thoughts on how best to attack this?

Thanks.

i might have a solution , but im gonna have to chat about it with you, would involve modifying the standard thimble but i think i know a way to make that work and still meet code. tell ya what, drop me a PM with a good daytime phone number and i'll give you a call from my office when i get back to work monday.

we can kick this idea of mine around , might have to do a bit of measuring but if what i am thinking of will fit its not to hard to accomplish.

will the stove be installed "catty corner? or squared to the walls?

i might have a solution , but im gonna have to chat about it with you, would involve modifying the standard thimble but i think i know a way to make that work and still meet code. tell ya what, drop me a PM with a good daytime phone number and i'll give you a call from my office when i get back to work monday.

we can kick this idea of mine around , might have to do a bit of measuring but if what i am thinking of will fit its not to hard to accomplish.

will the stove be installed "catty corner? or squared to the walls?

I'll PM you a number, thanks.

I haven't decided the orientation. Catty corner will make for a cleaner install with less pipe, but will be pointing the blower towards a corner of the house and not sure I'll get good circulation.
Squared to the walls will point it right down the center line of the house, but need more piping to get over to the outlet.
I'm leaning towards squared off. Neat piping won't be any good if half the house is cold.

I'll PM you a number, thanks.

I haven't decided the orientation. Catty corner will make for a cleaner install with less pipe, but will be pointing the blower towards a corner of the house and not sure I'll get good circulation.
Squared to the walls will point it right down the center line of the house, but need more piping to get over to the outlet.
I'm leaning towards squared off. Neat piping won't be any good if half the house is cold.

ok, we'll figure it out. i see the PM i'll leave it unopened so i will get the alert to it when i get in the office on monday. any time you prefer? im in from 8-5 eastern (VA time ;)) mondays are a bit busy so it wouldn't be an exact, but is morning or afternoon better?

Well, thanks for all the help, unfortunately looks like I have to say "nevermind".
Opened the sheetrock up today and there are studs right in the way on the exterior wall. In order to put the vent there, I'd basically have to open the wall up and put in a header. So it's looks like I'll be doing the up and out route over the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.