Very dumb question ..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lloyd the redneck

Feeling the Heat
Dec 6, 2016
Western mn
Hello all. Found a heck of a deal on a drolet myriad 2 I think it was , anyways so I have all 80's stoves and I fiddle with them in the burn cycle maybe 2-3 times to adjust the air. And I was wondering how much attention a epa stove requires, the drolet is new never fired. It would be for the shop stove wich is why I ask because the one I have in there currently I don't pay much attention to. It kinda just hums along and does its thing. I'm sure this topic has been started before but yanno

I load my regency. Then turn it down 2 to 3 times over 15 mins or so. Then it just burns for about 8 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
Hello all. Found a heck of a deal on a drolet myriad 2 I think it was , anyways so I have all 80's stoves and I fiddle with them in the burn cycle maybe 2-3 times to adjust the air. And I was wondering how much attention a epa stove requires, the drolet is new never fired. It would be for the shop stove wich is why I ask because the one I have in there currently I don't pay much attention to. It kinda just hums along and does its thing. I'm sure this topic has been started before but yanno

Hey Lloyd- I have a close cousin to that Drolet. It is most certainly not set it and forget it. Have to close it down gradually after loading, or it smokes. On a full load of hardwood at cold start, figure 30 minutes until it's closed all the way. Then, it'll be fine for hours, but then it works best if you gradually open it up at the end of the burn cycle to maximize heat and burn down the coals.

With my old 80s vintage Resolute, I'd get it up to temp, close the bypass, and be done until reload.

The SBI EPA stove is much more finicky. Can't speak for other EPA stoves.

Hey Lloyd- I have a close cousin to that Drolet. It is most certainly not set it and forget it. Have to close it down gradually after loading, or it smokes. On a full load of hardwood at cold start, figure 30 minutes until it's closed all the way. Then, it'll be fine for hours, but then it works best if you gradually open it up at the end of the burn cycle to maximize heat and burn down the coals.

With my old 80s vintage Resolute, I'd get it up to temp, close the bypass, and be done until reload.

Most of that is going to vary allot depending on the install. Weak draft will be more temperamental

The old Resolute had a thermostatic air control. The Myriad 2 is a good value stove. With good dry wood you load and turn down the air pretty quickly. Just be sure there is enough flue height to meet the requirement.

Last edited:
Most of that is going to vary allot depending on the install. Weak draft will be more temperamental
Indeed. That said, my draft is like a rocket, particularly when cold out. If I leave it all the way open for more than 5 to 10 minutes, my tubes almost melt down. If I shut it all the way down, it smoulders. Best if closed gradually. Unfortunately, on this stove, requires 20-30 minutes of attention. Don't mind too much, except in the middle of the night loads.

The old Resolute had a thermostatic air control.
Sure did. I miss that shiny little box on the back that made life easier. Cool technology for the 80's. I'll be looking for that feature again next time I buy a stove.

I'm not opposed to fiddling I just don't want to have to constantly mind it, first world problems I know. Have to go walk 50' to my shop from the house to check on the stove. The wife kicked the dogs out of the house when we're gone so when I'm home I need to make heat so it's tolerable in there for them. And I spend a lot of time in there also just now this year it has to stay warm I can't get lazy and leave it for a few days to cool down to 40

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
If the price is good and you have a good stash of dry split wood ready then it should be decent fit.

That's the next question. I have maybe maybe a cord of seasoned wood , I have as much standing dead ash as I can handle. I just haven't gotten it. Been dead a few years and based on last years consumption I'll need around 5-6 cord so maybe I need to stick with my " smoke dragons".

Standing dead is tricky. Some can be ready to burn quickly and some still has a lot of retained moisture. A moisture meter test on the freshly exposed face of the split will tell. If <20% it is good to go.

That's the next question. I have maybe maybe a cord of seasoned wood , I have as much standing dead ash as I can handle. I just haven't gotten it. Been dead a few years and based on last years consumption I'll need around 5-6 cord so maybe I need to stick with my " smoke dragons".
Your smoke dragons should still have dry wood

Standing dead is tricky. Some can be ready to burn quickly and some still has a lot of retained moisture. A moisture meter test on the freshly exposed face of the split will tell. If <20% it is good to go.

If last year is any indication I should be good, but shoulda woulda coulda. I also have acess to "slab wood" my neighbor has a mill and I can get that stuff but seems like a bunch of messing around to me anyways.

I'm not opposed to fiddling I just don't want to have to constantly mind it, first world problems I know. Have to go walk 50' to my shop from the house to check on the stove. The wife kicked the dogs out of the house when we're gone so when I'm home I need to make heat so it's tolerable in there for them. And I spend a lot of time in there also just now this year it has to stay warm I can't get lazy and leave it for a few days to cool down to 40
I think I unwittingly made it sound worse than it is. I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to pay attention for a little while after reloads. Burns clean as can be, glass is big and beautiful, nice heater. It actually works just fine if you close it down too fast, just smokes for a while. I admit I sometimes do that at 2 or 3 in the morning when I'm afraid I'm gonna fall back asleep before I get it shut down, but don't tell anyone. It's burning clean by the time I wake up a few hours later.

Reactions: Lloyd the redneck
I think I unwittingly made it sound worse than it is. I'd recommend it to anyone who is willing to pay attention for a little while after reloads. Burns clean as can be, glass is big and beautiful, nice heater. It actually works just fine if you close it down too fast, just smokes for a while. I admit I sometimes do that at 2 or 3 in the morning when I'm afraid I'm gonna fall back asleep before I get it shut down, but don't tell anyone. It's burning clean by the time I wake up a few hours later.

The more time I spend in the shop the more likely I am to crack a cold one. Or 6. So that's a good excuse ! Haha. Well my current ones take a good chunk of time as it is. Just was wondering with secondary's and such if it needed more. Took me a month or 2 to learn my stoves and they still suprise me sometimes.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Your smoke dragons should still have dry wood
The Drolet does NOT like wood that isn't well seasoned. Doesn't throw much heat and just sits there and smoulders. Came to know that well during season 1. Got by with standing dead ash, but where that was a little punky, ran into trouble, cause that doesn't dry quickly.

It does NOT like wood that isn't well seasoned. Doesn't throw much heat and just sits there and smoulders. Came to know that well during season 1. Got by with standing dead ash, but where that was a little punky, ran into trouble, cause that doesn't dry quickly.
No stoves do water doesn't burn. You just didn't notice as much with the old ones because they burned like crap all the time.

It does NOT like wood that isn't well seasoned. Doesn't throw much heat and just sits there and smoulders. Came to know that well during season 1. Got by with standing dead ash, but where that was a little punky, ran into trouble, cause that doesn't dry quickly.

Good information. Thank you. I have also been toying with the idea of messing around with coal. Mainly because my neighbors all burn it and my old stoves will handle it. Found a good deal on a pellet/corn stove today too. Choices choices. Or just bite it and buy some heat

Good information. Thank you. I have also been toying with the idea of messing around with coal. Mainly because my neighbors all burn it and my old stoves will handle it. Found a good deal on a pellet/corn stove today too. Choices choices. Or just bite it and buy some heat
Are they coal stoves?

One is a wood/ coal. The other is a insert but I have a coal basket I scrounged for it
Do not burn coal in that insert unless you hook it up better. You are taking an install that isn't great and putting coal in it even th out it was never designed for it. To me that is a very very bad idea.

Last edited by a moderator: