1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Very interesting...Hearthstone selling direct

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by smwilliamson, Jun 12, 2013.

1. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Was looking into carrying the pellet stoves from Hearthstone and noticed that they are now selling direct. Interesting model. I called them and talked with them about it.

• If they sell one, they will have the nearest local dealer take delivery and install it or arrange to pick up there....thus saving on shipping and the dealer gets a credit to their account for the cost of the unit.
    • If there is no local dealer they will sell it outright at MSRP
    Can't help but think that this is the way of the future and I'm happy to see a manufacturer now embracing it. Face it, hearthstone is a boutique kinda underdog brand. Very good products but not a whole lot of market share. By having the items displayed and for sale on the net they get to control their brand a bit more...not to mention get paid faster.

What do you folks think?

hearthstone webpage.jpg

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    That Manchester is a nice stove. Reminds me of a Jotul.
  3. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    That's a nice looking stove...
  4. EastMtn

EastMtn Member

Loc:
    Tijeras, NM
    The company reminds me of a volvo type manufacturer. Boutique as you say but look smart and fit a niche market. I like that Bari gas stove but not enough to pay $5K for 1300 BTU. Heritage has purging cycle and is 86% efficient but a small hopper.
  5. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I really like the look of this stove. I also really like Rika controls technology...it has both. Trying to get it in the new shop. Can't see why they wouldn't if they are now selling direct. Any Hearthstone dealers here that can shed some light on how this direct from the mnfg thing effects your dealer relationship? Pros? Cons?

I think it to be a win win...but cannot say for sure.
  6. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    If they're smart, they would welcome you with open arms and incentives. I know if I were them I would do anything a potential dealer wanted to get you to sell and service my stoves.
  7. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    I usually start off every conversation with manufacturers with..."Do you know who I am?" Not that it really matters who I am but if they have heard of me, perhaps I can leverage the conversation in my favor. Never really works though.
  8. joescho

joescho Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    I used to work with a major automotive warehouse distributor for many years, and one thing I learned form the owner was to treat the dealers like royalty because they're the ones moving your stuff.
  9. hossthehermit

hossthehermit Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine, ayuh, by gorry
    Held my hands right up to the picture, didn't git burnt, must be wicked safe ...........
  10. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    kinda like the way Snap-On works with their online sales . commission goes to the local dealer .

the stove shop where i bought my pellet grill up in NH sells them and they are gorgeous .
  11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

they kinda have to do that, as I am sure its ALSO the local dealer who has to do any warranty work on the stove....I don't know about hearthstone, BUT the money the dealers get from many manufacturers does not cover to cost to service them, although, to be fair Hearthstone could be an exception. I think HHT is $45 or so total. Its pretty quickly apparent that doing warrantee work for stoves you didn't sell is a money-losing proposition, unless you can tack on travel fees, etc, up and above the warrantee allowance
  12. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Going in to my Enviro dealership...I'm not really liking the 2 year labor part of the warranty.
  13. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

unfortunately, Ive found dealer agreements to be generally non-negotiable
  14. Ken Blazek

Ken Blazek New Member

Loc:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Sorry to bump an old post, but as a Hearthstone dealer, I have to say we enjoy the program. It allows us the ability to reach more customers. We don't get to keep our full margins, but it is enough when you figure you didn't have to pay an employee to do the selling for you.
  15. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Good to know.
  16. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

are there any other obligations for the dealer with the sale, Ken? What about warrantee work? What if simply the stove cannot be installed? You might not make full margin, but what DO you make......you can PM me if you like.....thanks
  17. Ken Blazek

Ken Blazek New Member

Loc:
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Good questions.

I know you do make whatever you want to charge for the install plus materials. As far as warranty you are the person they will be sent to for work. You are reimbursed when claims are filed. I haven't looked at the program specifics in a while, so I cannot give accurate answers.

Hearthstone sales aren't where we would want them to be, but that is just part and parcel with the brand.
  18. motorbykemike

motorbykemike New Member

really pretty @ $4900 "as shown"

but how does it work in the real world?

1 pellet sensitivy
    2 ease of cleaning
    3 frequency of cleaning
    4 temp swings if run on tstat
    5 can/does it run on tstat
    6 parts/service availability
    7 ease/effectiveness and range of adjustability
    8 is it a pos
    9 does it work great and rediculously easy to use
    10 would you sell one to mom

the last three are what i will rate my next stove buy on
  19. briansol

briansol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    central ct
    [​IMG]
    smwilliamson likes this.
  20. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Generators....look at a new holland 9000w, got mi e for $945 runs awesome
  21. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    Lol...random thoughts??

Never heard of them. Do they have a website?
  22. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    New holland is a huge name in agricultural tractors and stuff like that, they get these Honda knock off generators from china I guess, very affordable and kick ass.
  23. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Lousyweather likes this.
  24. smwilliamson

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Exactly...though I'm not nearly as cool.
  25. IHATEPROPANE

IHATEPROPANE Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NoPellettons, MA
    I am not far from Klems and your right...awesome store.

As far as the chinese knockoff generators/engines. I have several and all of them start first pull every time and run smooth. Now would they live as long under heavy use?? Who knows, but for normal household use I think they will hold up nice.

A little off topic for this thread though lol but unlike the subject.

Ps careful using that 12v output charging a battery. It is my understanding they are usually unregulated and can overcharge your battery.