want a hearthstone which one

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lynch

Dec 13, 2010
northern maine
house is 700sf
average insulated
cathedral cieling in living room where stove will be.
want over night burn.
im in northern maine so it gets cold.
any advice?

Heritage or perhaps a Woodstock Fireview?

I have the Heritage and really like it. It heats well and has a side loading door so you don't have to always use the front one. It is rated to heat up to 2000 or so square feet but with what you described for your house that might work out well and not make your living room too hot(with those ceiling etc). Good luck and I am sure others will chime in with their recommendations.

get a ceiling fan....and the heritage is a good choice. the side load door is a feature most people like. but it is rated to heat alot more then you 700 sq ft. you will get an overnight burn if you load it up good before bed and set the air control to low.
the homestead and the tribute will heat you area very well too.

I love my Craftsbury. It should be perfect size for your home.

Whatever you decide, the tax credit runs out tomorrow the 31st.

Consider the Woodstock Soapstones stoves too - if you are after soapstone. You will like the cat and the ability to turn down the stove and get clean burns.

Good luck,
Bill

really like the heritage just was cocerned it maybe to be to big, really like the side load for longer splits.
and yes wood perfer the soapstone.
and no i dont really care for the looks of the woodstock, really like the idea of them but cant get over the looks,
i think the homestead might be an option too but not much of a size differnce and the side loading of heritage is a big plus.

leeave96 said:
Whatever you decide, the tax credit runs out tomorrow the 31st.

Consider the Woodstock Soapstones stoves too - if you are after soapstone. You will like the cat and the ability to turn down the stove and get clean burns.

Good luck,
Bill

believe me id like to buy it today but i dont really have the money yet , have to wait till i get my taxes back.

can you get an 7-8 hour burn out of the craftsbury?
really want an overnight burn

remember the craftsbury is a cast iron stove not soapstone.
if you are going to switch to cast iron Jotul is the way to go. they have a model for every size.
excellent quality , history all around great stoves.

ruth140 said:
get a ceiling fan....and the heritage is a good choice. the side load door is a feature most people like. but it is rated to heat alot more then you 700 sq ft. you will get an overnight burn if you load it up good before bed and set the air control to low.
the homestead and the tribute will heat you area very well too.

Don't think the Tribute is what he wants with those cathedral ceilings. It definitely won't give him anything close to an overnight burn, for sure. It's a nice little stove that tries its best, but the burn cycle is very short. It only works for me because I work from a home office and am around all day to keep reloading. By morning, it's warm but not much more, and holding a huge big load of charcoal. If I've gotten the load-up the night before exactly perfect, there are enough hot coals to coax a fire out of it with small handfuls of very small bits of splitting debris. Certainly can't toss a couple of splits on it and get actual fire, just smoldering.

the heritage would be high on my list. phoenix burns about 6 hours the way i use it . happy shopping. pete

If you like the looks of the Heritage I say go for it. It might be a little too much stove for your space but you don't always have to fill it full or you could open a window once in awhile, fresh air is good for you.

How is your house laid out? Is part of it two story, part one story with the cathedral ceiling? Is it open floor plan or several smaller rooms closed off from one another? Do you sleep upstairs or down? Like it hot or cool? Do you foresee the day when you may build an addition, and if so, would it be out or up?

What does `average' insulation mean? (To me, it means `not very well insulated', because I have a(n irrational, probably) prejudice that has me convinced that most houses are woefully underinsulated. How have you heated your house in the past, and how much fuel has it taken over the course of a year?

Is it just you, or do you have a family? Do you all define a comfortable temperature the same way? I agree about the ceiling fan--that will help a lot with comfort, as will a high-mass hearth that will soak up heat and release it over time.

Those are questions that would have to be taken into account when you make your final decision. It can be pretty tough to make the choice, but it's worth taking the time to really think all these things through, because it's important to be happy with what you choose.

I have a Heritage, very happy with the stove. But getting to the point of making the right decision was not easy. This site can help with the learning curve involved.

If you already know you want a Hearthstone brand. For true mid sized over night burns, Id go with the Shelburne or the Heritage. Both stoves on a full load will still be making plenty of heat with enough coals to simply add splits after 7-8 hours.

+1 for Heritage. I'd put on credit card and pay off when taxes come back. You're going to save A LOT of $! Cheers!

Another vote for Heritage. Love mine!

Just a suggestion: Talk to your dealer today. Maybe with a small down payment, he can work with you so your paperwork qualifies for the credit. I lived in Maine (Readfield) from 2006-2009. I miss it. Even with all the snow, it was still beautiful.

Ken

snowleopard said:
How is your house laid out? Is part of it two story, part one story with the cathedral ceiling? Is it open floor plan or several smaller rooms closed off from one another? Do you sleep upstairs or down? Like it hot or cool? Do you foresee the day when you may build an addition, and if so, would it be out or up?

What does `average' insulation mean? (To me, it means `not very well insulated', because I have a(n irrational, probably) prejudice that has me convinced that most houses are woefully underinsulated. How have you heated your house in the past, and how much fuel has it taken over the course of a year?

Is it just you, or do you have a family? Do you all define a comfortable temperature the same way? I agree about the ceiling fan--that will help a lot with comfort, as will a high-mass hearth that will soak up heat and release it over time.

Those are questions that would have to be taken into account when you make your final decision. It can be pretty tough to make the choice, but it's worth taking the time to really think all these things through, because it's important to be happy with what you choose.

I have a Heritage, very happy with the stove. But getting to the point of making the right decision was not easy. This site can help with the learning curve involved.

its one story with the cathedrfal cieling in just the living room it does have a cieling fan, kitchen and LR are open to one another , then the bedroom is off of the LR and bathroom is within 3 feet of where the stove wood be placed, and there is one other room that is not used much at all just beyond the bathroom and bedroom. it is a pretty compact house.

we ( me and wife to be and 2 cats) like it pretty warm 70 -74 during the day and i like it alittle cooler at night.

heating right now with oil/ forced hot air.
just bought the home this year so im not sure of oil comsuption, but the prevous owns said around 350 gallons which is very little.

insulation is only about 8-9 inchs in the attic, walls unsure of.

and i would think the heritage would have the abiltiy to roast us out if i keep feeding it like crazy .
but my thoughts where to keep smaller hot fires during the day then load it up full overnight to relight during the day or befor going to work.

so with that what do you think now
thanks
Lynch

Lynch said:
house is 700sf
average insulated
cathedral cieling in living room where stove will be.
want over night burn.
im in northern maine so it gets cold.
any advice?

The Heritage will do an overnight burn, but expect the stove to be sitting at about 250 when you get up. Restarts have been rather easy in the morning as you should have a decent bed of coals.

If clearances aren't an issue I would check out the Woodstock Fireview for longer burn times.

if you use "fan only" on your forced air system you will be able to circulate the warm air thru out your home nicely.
i love the heritage but personally think it will be over sized for your living space. most epa stoves today are designed to burn hot fires in order to burnoff the gases which cause pollutants. burning low fires will not allow the "double burn "feature to kick in.
you should speak to your local Hearthstone Dealer too find out more details on each model so you can make an educated purchase.

One thing not talked about is stove placement. If you place the stove in a corner you will be forced to a tribute size stove due to the required clearances and footprint. If the stove is placed on a wall, non corner, then go with something larger than the tribute. My tribute heats my house well 1400sq ranch, very surprised but no overnight burns :(, put in a corner. Look into stove placement, check out their website then cut out a cardboard footprint and place at minimum requirements with a heat shield and insulated pipe. You'll get a general idea. The curtain gets moved and is outside the minimum clearances, nip that in the bud.

Attachments

• DSC01934.jpg
    DSC01934.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 624
ruth140 said:
if you use "fan only" on your forced air system you will be able to circulate the warm air thru out your home nicely.
i love the heritage but personally think it will be over sized for your living space. most epa stoves today are designed to burn hot fires in order to burnoff the gases which cause pollutants. burning low fires will not allow the "double burn "feature to kick in.
you should speak to your local Hearthstone Dealer too find out more details on each model so you can make an educated purchase.

even with a short hot fire?

a soapstone stove by nature is not a "short hot fire" stove. soapstone takes time to heat up...its not like steel or cast iron. it takes its time heating up and the heat is retained in the soapstone for longer periods of time. as you can see by the previous post they are heating 1400 sq ft with the TRIBUTE! that stove is designed to heat 1000 sq ft, but this person finds its doing much more ( no overnight though) so imagine what the HERTIAGE (1900 rating) will really do!
i am wondering if the tribute is still warm in the morning even though the fire is out. because the soapstone is supposed to retain the heat longer.
the essence of burning a woodstove is that you dont want your fire to go out...you want to continue to feed it so you dont have to "relight" and start a fire from scratch each time.

have you considered natural gas stoves?
do you have gas to your home?
hearthstone and a number of other companies make nice gas stoves to serve the same purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.